• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Are they similar?

An update on this.

The co-owner seems to have had it modified by changing the names of the divs and the indentations but it's still very similar.

Anyone has any advice regarding what I should do now?

Politely request that they remove and change the whole template. If they refuse to do so, you will have to shoot a DMCA Take Down Notification to their upstream provider.

Politely request that they remove and change the whole template. If they refuse to do so, you will have to shoot a DMCA Take Down Notification to their upstream provider.
That is a good idea. But I suppose thy will refuse. They might hired designer or freelancer and he stole that and was paid for good and quality work.
Just kinda guess here.

That is a good idea. But I suppose thy will refuse. They might hired designer or freelancer and he stole that and was paid for good and quality work.
Just kinda guess here.
Well, if they refuse, a DMCA is the only way to solve this. They will then have to deal with their so called "designer" aka "ripper".

Don't forget to be saving the source code, conversations, and screenshots as any progress is made. This will help you if legal issues are to be pursued.

Thanks for all the advice people :)

I've been trying to get him on IM since yesterday but he's not on, so meh. I guess I'll just wait a few more days then.

Pfft... he seems to be ignoring my IMs on purpose. It's been 3 days since I've watched him like a hawk (ok, maybe a hamster) and he's not responding.

Well, a DMCA is what you need then. I'll give him at most another 4 days to make it a week.

Wow. People are suggesting so many things here. So many impractical things.

So you want a free hosting service provider to send a DMCA notice to another service provider? For now, we'll assume that their upstream, DC and themselves ignore the notification - next what?

Matt8 said:
Don't forget to be saving the source code, conversations, and screenshots as any progress is made. This will help you if legal issues are to be pursued.
Go any idea how much a lawsuit would cost and what are your chances of winning the claim?

I'm pouring in 1000s of Euros here to fight a case against another colo provider for which they caused near to about 11,000~ EUR in damages and your suggesting a lawsuit for a template?

I'm not taking sides, but I'd recommend you just ignore and move on. That is 'the best' thing to do. By creating this thread, your practically giving them that much needed attention (regardless of it being good or bad).

All the best :)

Last edited:
Not a lawsuit. A DMCA would just be sent to their server providor, and will tell them remove the template or we delete you from our servers.

O.O I would never go to a lawsuit just for a template being ripped unless I paid like thousands for that template to be done.

Not a lawsuit. A DMCA would just be sent to their server providor, and will tell them remove the template or we delete you from our servers.

Wouldn't work. It was a freely created template. The layout was not copyrighted with a trademark or anything. Therefor, anyone could basically use it. This topic is a waste of time, honestly, you can't send a DMCA to a provider based on one template. They would need to have an illegal script, or something of value.

There is no need for the template to be copyrighted. A person's artwork is protected once it is designed.

Lol, no its not. Wow...where do you people learn these hilarious jokes? I wanna know. Unless something was copyrighted, it holds no legal standing. Anything I design is non-copyrighted. Therefor, anyone can steal and use it. Do I get upset? Hellz yea! But, can I do anything about the matter legally? No. I just have to ask nicely for the thief to remove it.

When you take a picture using your camera, the rights of the picture are with you. No one can take your picture from your camera and distribute it on the net without permission if I'm not mistaken. Same goes for code and designs.

If that's the case with template designs, then surely PHP scripts fall under the same stance. Since all it is, is code. If you make anything, you own a copyright for it, you don't need to "buy" a copyright for it.

Back