• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Are free webhosts trustable?

ammarthegr8

Hello people,

finally something besides requests, i have been a reading guest of freewebspace.net for the past 1 year, but i finally decided to register and start posting.

Are free web hosts trustable? I ask this after the experience i had with freehu.com. I had a perfectly running forum based website with thousands of page views daily and all went boom!!

Free web hosts run within limited budgets, apart from services like free servers, who attract the masses of amateur web developers and is highly profitable, but what about a normal free webhost who depends on services like paypopup.com and Focus in for powering the finances of the website?

All in all, a normal free web host, in my perspective, is not trustable, a person should have constant backups, you dont know when the host busts himself up.

What i believe is that instead of wasting so much time in searching free hosts and uploading again and again while changing the host is economically not feasible.

It is better to go out, buy a normal, or cheap web host, at least, then you'll have the guarantee that my money is safe, my data and my website is safe and it ain't going anywhere and that, simply the paid web host has no need to shut it services down, and even if he does, he'll be paying you back.

What do you think people?

I did. I said they were trustworthy. I was also commenting on your newly invented word as well of course. You want more than a one word answer I take it. No pleasing some people. A nice succinct answer that addresses two issues in one, how much more do you want?

Originally posted by ammarthegr8
yeah whatever, comments on the actual post please!

Well, i have to say that i'm in agree with you, but mostly the people who run Free Hosting use they Profit for another thinks that aren't Backups, upgrading Server's, more Bandwith, more Specs, etc. But i don't think that you'll find a free Host that use's at least 70% of their profit to give a Better service to their User's :(

Yes, i agree with you, is better to get a Paid host, because your data will be secure, your account will not be suspended (if you don't pay you'll be suspended:D Sorry;) ) and if you pay you'll be hosted on a Quality server, etc... :D

My recommendattion is to go for a Paid host if you don't find any trustable host that you can use it for your User's :biggrin2:

i agree with eminence, that reply you gave was excellent, a two in one shot!

by the way, do forgive me, but i have my own vocabulary!

I dont make english mistakes so often, probably once a year, any way, yes, we should go for paid hosting!

Maybe we are the exception.

My service has been open under two brands since May of 2000.

So far I have servers in three datacenters and I don't see any sign of stopping.

I don't place ads on users sites, only ads on my page alone.

Are we trustworthy? Yes
Do we accept just anybody? No
Do we accept many people at all? No

If you want a stable host, pay for it. Otherwise have a bit of luck and get a stable free host.

Peace. :D

Hosts, both free and cheap paid, can't be trusted to be there next week. Their intentions are good, but they don't allow for all the abuse of TOS. So while they maybe trustworthy in their intentions, you can't trust that they will still be around forever.

If you want a trustworthy host, go for a paid one who has a good track record, don't just jump on the first one who offers you 1GB space and 30GB bandwidth for $2 a month, you can be sure that one will be gone in no time.

I don't agree with thinking your content is safe on a paid host, I bought reseller space, 50 bucks a month, it was going great and then kablooey, my sites have been down for a month and I still got billed for it. Nice eh? So it's not just free web hosts, they give what they can and they do it for free so I say yay to them, it ticks me off when people complain about ads or no mysql or they want everything and more that a paid host offers only for free.

In my opinion, I think you cant trust anything. I had the perfect host, or at least I thought, and was there for at least a year, and then it all went, and I had to move. Moved to another host that was around with a good record for 2 years, and then they went under, so I dont think, free or paid, you can trust anything.

Backup every week!

I've had 2 experiances, one site I had on f2s.com and they up and cacled the free part...oops time for another host....and after all that putting up with slow and somtimes unstable servers.The second is with netfirms...so far no problems....I'll keep my fingers crossed....you know what they say, you get what you pay for.

Originally posted by FaithBowie
I don't agree with thinking your content is safe on a paid host, I bought reseller space, 50 bucks a month, it was going great and then kablooey, my sites have been down for a month and I still got billed for it. Nice eh? So it's not just free web hosts, they give what they can and they do it for free so I say yay to them, it ticks me off when people complain about ads or no mysql or they want everything and more that a paid host offers only for free.

If you can get it for free why pay? Besides it never hurts to ask.

Originally posted by MATRIX
But i don't think that you'll find a free Host that use's at least 70% of their profit to give a Better service to their User's :(
100% of everything we make from donations from our members
goes directly into improving the features and services
for our members at U69.US.

Yes, i agree with you, is better to get a Paid host, because your data will be secure, your account will not be suspended (if you don't pay you'll be suspended:D Sorry;) ) and if you pay you'll be hosted on a Quality server, etc... :D
That would imply that a FREE host is unreliable or doesn't
provide any backup service. At U69.US, we have been around
for more than 4 years, have 99.9% uptime, fast performance,
with continous mirroring and daily tape backup.

My recommendattion is to go for a Paid host if you don't find any trustable host that you can use it for your User's :biggrin2: [/B]
Okay, at least you had a qualifying "IF" in that statement.

This whole issue comes down to trust...

I was at work the other day, and I a workmate said to me 'you know the only person you can trust is you... and possibly even you'.

I say, if your going free, then go for a long-standing free host like Brinkster or Portland. Even try LifelessHost out ;)

If you need more than what they can offer, then considering making a detailed free request and then getting to know the host or support people well... it is a good way to build trust.

But, if all else fails- go paid. It's the solution to all life's problems :p

But what's that I hear you say? You can't afford paid hosting?

Well I am curious to know, how are you gaining access to the Internet if your that broke?

Also remember: I can't send you the money is not a valid exuse for free hosting.

Even if you can't afford much- join up with a free (and paid) host (or LifelessHost ;)) and send them donations whenever you can.

some one offer free host ,you would know their real purpose.
maybe they really want to host you,or just with other purpose.
i have seen somebody offer 50gb free data transfer at WTH.maybe to all here ,it is impossible. why he will offer so much free transfer for free , i am sure he will not pay the bandwith for you for free , he will gain something . i feel there few people just offer free host for fun (i do not mean host one or two guys).

Generally paid host is better than free host , more support and stable. but there are difference ,some are cheap ,some are expensive.you should check it with care . just as Jan said "1GB space and 30GB bandwidth for $2 a month" ,that is impossible .do NOT only consider the cheap price. good service+good host=money.

:)

Originally posted by Antonio
some one offer free host ,you would know their real purpose.
maybe they really want to host you,or just with other purpose.
i have seen somebody offer 50gb free data transfer at WTH.maybe to all here ,it is impossible. why he will offer so much free transfer for free , i am sure he will not pay the bandwith for you for free , he will gain something . i feel there few people just offer free host for fun (i do not mean host one or two guys).

:)
agree

sometimes banner or link is needed
they can make business from you site
They won't host you for completely free
it is a joke if you think they were just kind

Originally posted by Antonio
i feel there few people just offer free host for fun (i do not mean host one or two guys).

thats me! free hosting, no ads required, free domains, currently hosting 324 users! i dont make any profit, i do it for fun, experience and negotiated court order!

I also believe that NO ONE IS TRUSTWORTHY. Even in real life, not to say the most reliable paid host in the world. Not even Microsoft.

When you signup with a service, take it as a 50/50 chance. Some paid hosts go bust too.

If you're so afraid, do regular backups. Simple as that.

Back