• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

aol or other isp ip addresses

mattsoftnet

I've heard here and there that aol puts it's dialup users on a proxy fr downloading web pages. do multiple aol users share am ip address or are there other isp's that do this? I'm working on an authentication system and I need to know this for the brute force detection. I want to detect someone trying to brute force into an account with fake session keys.

There are many ISPs that do this. Some AOL can have a gazillion different people using the same IP. A couple of British ISPs also do this, as do the middle Eastern countries. Oh and Canada has a couple of IPs that could be shared by many. These are the ones I can think of off hand.

one more question. is there any chance REMOTE_ADDR would ever be blank or not supplied at all? I think that value is supplied by the web server, but I want to be sure.

Oh yeah, saix is one in SA. Also quite a few Asian ones. Makes moderating forums a pain :p

Yeah ...I have aol and I my IP has been blocked from a one of those big wiki sites before and I never even registered or posted there before. It did say that if I am using aol that somebody else could be using the same IP ...that kind of sucks

Back