• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Anyone used DD-WRT?

aggiedude

So I am looking for a way to boost my wireless network's signal across the house. As I was googling around today I came across DD-WRT. Here is my thought: get a second 802.11n router that is compatible with DD-WRT, put DD-WRT on it and set up DD-WRT to make the router a repeater. This way I can attempt to maintain closer speeds to Wireless N while boosting the network range considerably. Anyone ever done anything like this with DD-WRT? It warns against losing bandwidth through this process but I can't imagine its that horribly bad. Or does anyone have a better linux like set-up similar to DD-WRT that they find better? Any pointers are appreciated!!

So I am looking for a way to boost my wireless network's signal across the house. As I was googling around today I came across DD-WRT. Here is my thought: get a second 802.11n router that is compatible with DD-WRT, put DD-WRT on it and set up DD-WRT to make the router a repeater. This way I can attempt to maintain closer speeds to Wireless N while boosting the network range considerably. Anyone ever done anything like this with DD-WRT? It warns against losing bandwidth through this process but I can't imagine its that horribly bad. Or does anyone have a better linux like set-up similar to DD-WRT that they find better? Any pointers are appreciated!!

I use DD-WRT on my 2 WRT-54GL (linux version, the good kind). I have them set up in WDS repeater fashion. Works well, but I needed range. Remember for speed you're halving your speed as you're connecting to the repeater, then that repeater to the next. So instead of 54mbs (which you'll show connected at), yuo'll maintain closer to 24-36mbs when connected to the repeater router instead of the main.

I use DD-WRT on my 2 WRT-54GL (linux version, the good kind). I have them set up in WDS repeater fashion. Works well, but I needed range. Remember for speed you're halving your speed as you're connecting to the repeater, then that repeater to the next. So instead of 54mbs (which you'll show connected at), yuo'll maintain closer to 24-36mbs when connected to the repeater router instead of the main.

Ok, glad to hear it is working for someone. But regarding the bandwidth - if I am running two N routers would I have roughly 150mbs over 24-36mbs given the higher throughput of the technology? If that's the case I see no problem with the idea - I have a 7mbs internet connection, as long as that can flow to my Roku Player and Laptops at its full speed I see no problem. Thoughts?

Ok, glad to hear it is working for someone. But regarding the bandwidth - if I am running two N routers would I have roughly 150mbs over 24-36mbs given the higher throughput of the technology? If that's the case I see no problem with the idea - I have a 7mbs internet connection, as long as that can flow to my Roku Player and Laptops at its full speed I see no problem. Thoughts?

It should work well, but N is Draft, so I haven't invested any money into it until it is standardized, if it ever is before the next wireless protocol is out. So I can't really say how it will work, I've set up only B and G repeating systems, so I don't have any input on how N will play.

Sorry

Back