• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Anyone ever had a hacker upload phishing files to your website(s)?

build-a-host

321Hosted.com
NLC
Someone on this forum, whom I shall not name, thinks that I sold them a website that contained a script that was sending out phishing emails, which is not the case! The files were added AFTER I sold them the domain/website, as the person said, so I couldn't have had access to add them after she moved the website and domain to their server. Still they do not beleive me, which I can expect since they do not know me from the man on the moon!

Anyway, have any of you ever had this happen to you or one of your clients/friends?

A hacker gets into your website through a hole in the script, uploads a folder that contains phishing emails and puts it in a folder like the images folder so you don't notice them?

I had it happen to my mothers nonprofit organization website a couple of years ago, which I explained to the person too, but again they do not know me so they do not beleive me.

So, I would like to hear from you guys as to whether or not you have had this happen to you or anyone you know. I'm sure that since it happened to me a couple years ago, that it has happened to many people before. I just want it to be proven that this is HIGHLY possible!

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also, is there anyway to see if anything has been deleted on an account? I would like to prove that I have not deleted anything on my end, on the account.

Last edited:
It can happen, not just with the account it could be the receiving server has security issues.

When transferring a site best package it and send it or ftp it then the archive is the proof.

I have had it happen once to someone that was running PHP Nuke Platinum.

Simply informed them of what happend and deleted the content and it hasn't happened since :)

Yes of course it can happen, its the internet.. Just the other day one of my domains got haxed they uploaded a fake login site of some bank..

Since you don't seem to get it, I downloaded the files from your server. I sent you the screenshot of what I see in the ftp login you gave me.

from 3 reputable members!

:O Im a reputable member? :p

Anyway when it does happen it helps if you provide them with the file that was used to exploit it. In the case of PHP Nuke it was favorites.php and the same site also had it done to the shoutbox *dont remember the file used to exploit*

Just explain that every script has some kind of vulnerable point and they just need to fix that hole :)

Sure, this can happen with a free hosting service. I guess it could happen with a PHP-based site, if there was a flaw in this script. Is it possible the stuff was there and you didn't know about it?

i think it is possible. i got my vps hacked once, they run something on my server which chew 100% of the memory and cpu usage! i dont know how they do it, but i guess everything is hackable nowadays. perhaps you can explain this more clearly to your buyer.

Back