• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Anyone else get annoyed by this?

DavidsAwesome

Wait, What?
NLC
I get incredibly annoyed when I see host's fail to realize that 1 gig = 1024mb... not 1000mb. I see offers that say "5gb space" or something on their site, and when you look at the details, they say "5,000mb" ... which isn't 5 gigs.

Am I just a perfectionist with OCD, or does that bug anyone else too?

And yes, I am bored.

Yes, it bugs me, too. And it has nothing to do with being a perfectionist - it's right versus wrong. It just goes to show the stupidity level of some people.

Actually that has become industry standard, most hosting sites you will see will say 1,000MB as 1GB. Eh just another trend thats changing the industry

...except this one is explicitly dishonest - different from overselling and other "hot" issues. 1 Gigabyte is 1,024 Megabytes, NOT 1,000 Megabytes.

Im well aware of that, all of our packages correspond to the correct MB detail. But what can you do to change this as a industry pratice? Its in the same boat as overselling. :)

Are people aware that bits go by 8s? lol
I learned about that in elementary school.
Whats 1GB (1024MB) can be divided by 8, 1TB (1024GB) can be divided by 8, 1PB/petabyte (1024TB) can be divided by 8. Even the old kilobites and bytes themselves can be divided by 8. Why do you think RAM/Memory is 128, 256, 384, 512, 768, 1024, 1536, etc? Because memory/space is based on the 8-bit system.

Whats 1GB (1024MB) can be divided by 8, 1TB (1024GB) can be divided by 8, 1PB/petabyte (1024TB) can be divided by 8. Even the old kilobites and bytes themselves can be divided by 8. Why do you think RAM/Memory is 128, 256, 384, 512, 768, 1024, 1536, etc? Because memory/space is based on the 8-bit system.

I was very aware of that. :) I learned that... probably in elementary school too, isn't it awesome?

Yeah..? And?

4 bits in a nibble
8 bits in a byte
1024 bytes in a MegaByte
1024 bytes in a Gigabyte

Any Host that does not know that, is stupid.

But I do agree, the "normal" computer user would not know that, and would think 1GB is 1,000MB as it's easier for them ;)

Everybody usually says 1GB. I doubt you will find any host who'll say 1000MB and 1GB on the same page.

You say you get incredibly annoyed, :D state the hosts that you say don't realize this?

Yeah..? And?

4 bits in a nibble
8 bits in a byte
1024 bytes in a MegaByte
1024 bytes in a Gigabyte

Any Host that does not know that, is stupid.

But I do agree, the "normal" computer user would not know that, and would think 1GB is 1,000MB as it's easier for them ;)

It's it horrible when you're outsmarted by your own keyboard, you really feel like your keyboard got one over on you, or that somehow your hands and keyboard are conspiring against you .... :ninja:

Literally speaking 1M = 1,000,000. 1024 is simply a corruption of the origional brought about by the computer world to fit with base 2 numbers.

So really either is correct :)

it doenst really bother me cause i know 1024mb is 1GB, but a lot of people still say that 1000 bits is 1mb, 1000 mb is 1Gb, 1000GB is 1TB which isnt exact, but, it is a rough estimate. so, i dont really care myself.

@Decker, good point, i didnt realize that myself. thanks for teaching me something new today. :)

I get incredibly annoyed when I see host's fail to realize that 1 gig = 1024mb... not 1000mb. I see offers that say "5gb space" or something on their site, and when you look at the details, they say "5,000mb" ... which isn't 5 gigs.

Am I just a perfectionist with OCD, or does that bug anyone else too?

And yes, I am bored.

I totally agree with you. Most customers may not notice, but as stated earlier - it's definitely right from wrong.

Back