• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Anyone else ever see this from Hypermart?

Spinecast

First of all, I hope I am putting this in the right forum, seeing as how I am new here.

Anyways...This first came to my attention by going a virus scan on my lap top and finding a corrupted .cab file in my temporary internet files. It has the words IEgator in the file name, and me not knowing anything about this, I did a search on it. Not really worried about what I had found because I do not have Gator installed on my lap top, I just deleted everything having to do with this .cab file.

Next day, I do another scan, and the file showed back up in the same place. This time I looked at what may have caused it. It was a pop-up from some website that I had visited with a script in it checking to see if I had Gator installed. Well, remembering that the pop-up file name was webpdp_v3_plugin.html, I figured I would pay more attention to the pop-ups that are on the sites I visit.

I know this is a long post, so I cut it short. When checking the site I was building on Hypermart (I have had free space with them for a year now, but just decided to start using it; but I noticed it's only a paid host now?) I noticed a pop-up that was below the browser view. Before the title showed up, I saw
webpdp_v3_plugin.html. So I did a quick virus scan, and yep...the corrupted IEGator cab showed up again.

The point: I am still not quite sure what this does. All I know is that this last time I tried to delete the corrupted .cab file, it failed because it was RUNNING. It may be harmless, but hearing about sites using code to slip a trojan through the Gator plugin, I was concered. Anyone else encounter this?

Again, if this is in the wrong forum, I appologize.

Will it be a program that can retrieve your personal data stored on Gator and send the data back to them?

I would recommend you download Ad-Aware and run it regularly, as there are several programs that have little nasties in them these days. :mad:

Originally posted by 1q1q1q
Will it be a program that can retrieve your personal data stored on Gator and send the data back to them?

Well, upon research on Gator I found out that some sites can search for Gator through Object tags. If it is found, it can then send and run any program through Gator - mostly trojans. We all know trojans can get all kinds of info and send it back.

Seeing as how I have seen Gator called spyware also, your info may be getting out anyways. Not a bad thing if you want people knowing what you do on the internet, which most people do not, lol.

My whole question is: Why in the hell would Hypermart be running something like this?

If indeed Hypermart is the culprit, they might not be aware of it. I suggest you run Ad-Aware for clues, and if that shows nothing, email Hypermart with your questions.

Yeah I accidentaly installed gator, it is just stupid spyware, that cab file will be there until you delete the proper stuff from your registry, I would not reccomend doing that by yourself, unless you know where to find things in your registry. so use ad-aware as Jan said. It won't go away until you do

Back