• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Any really good free message boards out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Rich
IMO ezboard is OK if you want a free messageboard that is JUST a messageboard and nothing else, but in almost all other categories it sucks major ---!
:mad:

What do you expect? It's a message board service, so you should expect a good solid message board. Do you want a chat room, a guestbook, and a photo album as well? Then you should try Yahoo Groups or MSN Communities instead.

I think that ezBoard is a HORRIBLE free message board provider. Pop-ups, banners, mailing lists EVERYWHERE, and it gets very annoying. Also, they pretty much don't give ANY support to the free users (or at least very poor quality). Then, there's the problem that they're WAY overused and their board layout isn't so "unique" anymore. They have WAY too many empty boards with nothing on them. Just eating up space...

Originally posted by conkermaniac
Problems with ForumCo:

a) All they did was host a Snitz forum; really pathetic. You can get better Snitz forums freely hosted at ASP-Dev (http://forums.asp-dev.co.uk).

b) They have disconuted sign-ups. In other words, they're not accepting new users.

c) They have some of the most rude and uncaring support staff ever.

Well..I signed up before the deadline

rude and uncaring support staff?.......I don't need to email them for support anyways..

I think that ezBoard is a HORRIBLE free message board provider. Pop-ups, banners, mailing lists EVERYWHERE, and it gets very annoying. Also, they pretty much don't give ANY support to the free users (or at least very poor quality). Then, there's the problem that they're WAY overused and their board layout isn't so "unique" anymore. They have WAY too many empty boards with nothing on them. Just eating up space...

Were they ad-less before? I don't remember.
Well, I used to like it once when I didn't know anything better and when I didn't have a host that gives me the ability to install CGI, PHP scripts, etc. Now, ezboard just looks lame, IMO.

Originally posted by DJsexie

Well..I signed up before the deadline

rude and uncaring support staff?.......I don't need to email them for support anyways..

I mean their e-mail support AND their terrible message board moderators.

Originally posted by GRiN

Were they ad-less before? I don't remember.
Well, I used to like it once when I didn't know anything better and when I didn't have a host that gives me the ability to install CGI, PHP scripts, etc. Now, ezboard just looks lame, IMO.

Unfortunately, ezBoard was never adless. They always had banners, but now the number of pop-ups have reached a peak. EzBoard does look lame compared to most scripts out there, but as the scripts have gotten better, so have the message board services.

The main free scripts (OpenBB, PHPBB, Ikonboard, YaBB, and WWWBoard) are still comparable to remote hosts. Ikonboard and YaBB do not have good layouts and are just average scripts, IMO. While OpenBB and PhPBB are much better, they can only just about equal the best free remote hosts. Of course, they are all free (and the best remote hosts aren't).

Originally posted by [lhomme]
Anyone know which board consumes the least bandwidth?

A forum which uses the less bandwidth is most likely to have the least features as well. For example, vbulletin is the best one with the most features but it takes longer to load than other boards.

OK, let's add them in...But it still doesn't make much of a difference, does it?

Haha, you just can't accept that these boards are much better than Aimoo, can you? ROTFLMAO

Originally posted by cheatpark

For example, vbulletin is the best one with the most features but it takes longer to load than other boards.

Wrong. Templates make a big difference.

1. UBB is worse than vBulletin, for vB has a special method that allows posts to be viewed before the entire page loads in IE.
2. You can strip the entire board of its design, then recode it like a phorum.

[add]
I should start grammar checking my posts. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back