• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

any certificates i should look for???

akersche

Hi,
does anybody know certificates I should look for, when I want a quality host. Some offer money-back (but how serious is this).
And are there any quality certificates for hosts?

Greetings Arno

Hello
Unfortunately there is no independent verification of web hosts. Most that claim to be are advertising driven and highly questionable.
Sites that allow users to vote for the best web host will always favour larger companies as they have more users and get more votes.

Most of our customers are word of mouth recommendations and that seems to be the way most people find a host.

Gordon

thanks

i thought so. but i was not sure, if there are really certificates (not only self given;-)
that's why i couldn't find anything.
thanks for widen my knowledge.
Greetings Arno

Arno,

Some companies do guarantee a certain uptime per month, however, you have to be careful because is it guaranteed up a certain amount of time per day, per month, per year?

Depending it can make a large difference.

I wish too that there would be a policing organization, however, there are just too many hosts to watch and too many people willing to pay off a policing organization.

Good luck in your search.

Originally posted by Paul_Szymanski
Arno,

Some companies do guarantee a certain uptime per month, however, you have to be careful because is it guaranteed up a certain amount of time per day, per month, per year?

Depending it can make a large difference.

Er...please explain how 99% uptime a day * 365 is different from 99% per year? Or is it like if the host makes 99% a year promise and have your site offline 5 days a row...

How can a host promise 99,9% uptime? Is there some kind of a sanctioning system?

uptime-granting

Hi,
thanks for bringing that up.
Uptime is for me rather important, cause I am looking for a quality host.
And I know from other posts and from my education in computer science, that there is nothing like 100% uptime.

Guess 99,9% should be possible, but as top said: I think any company could write that on their website...

And isn't 99,5% not more realistic?

And as costumer I guess it's hard to calculate it and I've never heard that there is a sanctioning sytem. Well sometimes (during a test-period) you can get the money back.

I currently use a system that controls if my web-site is up:
http://uptime.arsdigita.com/uptime/
I know there are better systems out, but this one is free and one gets an email if the web-site seems to be down...

And another question:
Do you think a more expensive web-space should be better?
Or are they just asking for to much.

Do you guys think http://www.wzpro.com/ with $36/Year would be a good idea?
They got money back guaranty
and something that they call 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
Was reading a lot of good about this web-host.
(For private site and for a small business-site)

Something more I wanna bring up:
How can I find out, how good cgi is working and how easy it is to use it. Almost every paid hosting service offers cgi.
(Need it for online-form, counter, guestbook)

Re: uptime-granting

Originally posted by akersche
Guess 99,9% should be possible, but as top said: I think any company could write that on their website...

I know that some hosts offer your money back if they do not achieve whatever precent of uptime they promise. But how do you prove your site hasn't been online? So even if this is the case it might be hard getting your money out. (I have not experienced a situation like this so it's just a thought)

Re: Re: uptime-granting

Originally posted by top
I know that some hosts offer your money back if they do not achieve whatever precent of uptime they promise. But how do you prove your site hasn't been online? So even if this is the case it might be hard getting your money out. (I have not experienced a situation like this so it's just a thought) [/B]
Hi top,
that's what I was thinking off: proving is tricky.
But as I said there are services, where you can control, which control the uptime of your site.
And if it's a good host: I guess they are willing to give you the money back:)

Which hosts are you talking about, that "promise" to give you the money back, if they don't achieve a certain uptime.
And what's your opinion about them?

Re: Re: Re: uptime-granting

Originally posted by akersche
Which hosts are you talking about, that "promise" to give you the money back, if they don't achieve a certain uptime.
And what's your opinion about them?

Sorry but I really don't remember. I only remember seeing those somewhere.

akersche-
"And as costumer I guess it's hard to calculate it" - and that's just what Paul was talking about. Really it doesn't matter how you calculate it, it matters how *your host* calculates it (minutes/hours per month/year). Shifting to top for a second...

top-
Good example top with the 5 days... so with this the host wouldn't have met the 99% uptime if it was calculated per month, but *would* meet the uptime is that was 5 days out of 365 days. yes, sometimes it is caluculated more on an overall yearly uptime, sometimes even an entire network uptime (I'll stop here as it just gets more complicated).

Point being that you should refer to the TOS (what you are agreeing to, and what they are agreeing to provide).

akersche-
"But as I said there are services, where you can control, which control the uptime of your site..." - they don't control it, rather report if they can't reach the site, which could mean any number of things and isn't proof of anything. Just so you know. The best proof might be access logs, with a zero dip at some point which might indicate that the site wasn't up (could still be argued).

Really, if you are with a decent host, they will know about it and offer to refund you according to the TOS. If you have to prove it and jump through hoops, then most likey it won't be a host you'll be with much longer anyhow.

Good luck.

Back