• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Any Aussie there?

kamejoko

Hi,
After a long time looking for free hosting service, trying hundered of them and being disappointed, I have decided to setup my own server at home, my box is rather good and I have enough experience to admin it. However, I don't know which connection and ISP should I use: Telstra Bigpond, IInet, Optus, iPrimus or ....? (I am in Australia). It should be affordable (<80AUD/m), a static IP if possible, >= 3G transfer a month (or unlimited), always on... and (if possible, officially) allow me to run a HTTP server at home.

Most (if not all) Australian broadband companies do not allow you to run any type of server at home. I'm on Optus@Home and I'm not allow to otherwise that would be where I would host my site.

Hi,
when you say IINet i asume you live in perth. Have you decided what OS you are using (i would use linux). And what connection do you want? Anyway - if your willing to pay 80$$ just get your site hosted and you can get a connection aswell.

Anyway - Good Luck

Phuzion

Broadband: In australia broadband is still developing, and I doubt you'll find a ISP for under $80 that'll allow u to host a server. But whatever u do, DON'T use Telstra, cause their broadband is crap (it is a known fact). Optus is good thought. But I'm still on dial-up. :(

OS/Web Server:I'd use Win2K and IIS. Yes, I know there's all this IIS virus sh!t, but it's easy to use.

If u want hosting, for $80 per month, (US$40) you could get just what you want.

Yes, I am in Perth. IINet is suggested by my classmate (are you in my class Phuzion, Inet292???), but I had a look at their plans and all I can say is I will not be able to live with 500M/m (I am on a iPrimus dialup now and my monthly data transfer is about 3.5G).
Yeasterday was my lucky day because I had two offers, both are free with everything unmetered and everything supported, but I still like to have my own server. I am willing to pay $80 only if I have a connection and a server as well. I also prefer a Linux server but I had only a comp and I have to all other stuffs with it, so a IIS server is fair enough.
Can any body look at this and tell me what it means?

5.6 Subject to clause 5.7, you must not connect another network, such as a local area network, to the Service or allow multiple simultaneous users of the Service. You may connect only one computer to the Service at any one time and must not in any circumstances connect servers which transmit data to the internet or cable or ADSL networks, such as ftp servers and chat servers.

It is from the Acceptable Usage Policy of Bigpond ( http://www.bigpond.com/broadband/support/aup.asp ). They don't mention a HTTP server. I am mailing them to sort it out but would like to ask for your oppinion.

Back