• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

AMD 4000+ vs Intel D 805

Wojtek

W as in Whisky
NLC
I'd like to get one of those dual-core cpu's. AMD or Intel, no specific preference.

I've taken a look at the amd lineup and the 'AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+' with 2.0Ghz at 430$ is the most reasonable choice from amd.
In the intel corner, we have this Pentium D 805 cpu offering 2.66Ghz cores out of the box and costing 150$.
Both feature 1mb caches, so I'm kind of wondering why would I need to spend almost 300 dollars more for a less-performing chip?

Or is there something I'm missing?

Clockspeed doesn't mean anything these days.

The 4000+ X2 (even the 3800+ X2 for that matter) will whip the 805 in everything. If gaming is your pleasure, the Pentium D won't even hold its own against the single-core A64s.

Consider waiting for Conroe if you want a fair fight. ;)

2.0 is pretty high for an AMD. AMDs generally run at a lot lower frequency than Intels. AMDs perform better at certain things than Intel does. Do a bit of research and you'll find AMD usually comes out on top.

I've got a 2500+ currently. Running at 1.8Ghz.
I use the computer for webdesign and audio production.
Gaming is far from my priorities. I do maybe couple hours per month. That's it.

The computer is running pretty well as it is, but my sister needs a computer soon, so I thought I'd give her some stuff of this one and buy myself some better parts instead.

If I upgrade to this 4000+, will the speed increase be noticeable over the current 2500, or not that much?

If you get the X2 it'll be like night and day.

My last upgrade was from a 1700+ XP (1.47GHz) to a 3000+ A64 (1.8GHz) and even that was a huge jump.

If you are looking to spend some coin on processor get an opteron 165 instead of the X2. the opterons are quite a bit faster and the potential for overclock on a 165 is HUGE

Depends,
If overclocking a 165 to 2.2 or 2.4ghz speeds is relatively easy, I'd rather take this over the x2. It's in the same price range.

I've discovered AM2 needs DDR2 memory chips, so I can forget about AM2, I don't want to change the whole computer. 939 will be fine.

What is with people and this overclocking crap? I hate to be rude but really. Overclocking is nothing but luck on the draw of the chip you get. I got a 2.8GHZ P4 with 800FSB, and I got it to a sweet 3.4GHZ on a pitiful Speeze 2.8GHZ air cooler (22C idle, 45.8C full load for 28 hours). So I got another rig just like it. That same 2.8GHZ went only to 3.02GHZ. Wouldn't matter what I did. it awlways failed. Even switched it to my rig, still only 3.05 on it. Its only luck. SO if you want your computer to a certain power, you budget for it, and you buy a processor AT LEAST that big, if you overclock it and get something great, good for you. But thats better than wanting 2.4GHZ of power and getting stuck at 2.

overclocking is a bit like car tuning, it is just kind of a fun way to do it. That is the nature of the thing. People who overclock usually don't bank on a guaranteed overclock number

Wojtek said:
I'd like to get one of those dual-core cpu's. AMD or Intel, no specific preference.

I've taken a look at the amd lineup and the 'AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+' with 2.0Ghz at 430$ is the most reasonable choice from amd.
In the intel corner, we have this Pentium D 805 cpu offering 2.66Ghz cores out of the box and costing 150$.
Both feature 1mb caches, so I'm kind of wondering why would I need to spend almost 300 dollars more for a less-performing chip?

Or is there something I'm missing?

Has anyone checked out this :

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/index.html

The D 805 overclocked to 4.1ghz totally stable!! Faster than the current flagship CPU from Intel or AMD

I was gonna post ^^^ that...

whoever said that overclockin is luck is ridiculous, think about it, these are machines made of mathematics, how ever is it going to be luck ?
that is possiby the stupidest thing I have read on a forum in a long time, that would be like saying "my computer doesn't turn on, because it doesn't feel like it" ... the silicon and metals these things are made out of have absolutely no concept of luck, your experience could have been down to one of 50 odd things, but what it WASN'T, was luck......

KRAK_JOE said:

whoever said that overclockin is luck is ridiculous, think about it, these are machines made of mathematics, how ever is it going to be luck ?
that is possiby the stupidest thing I have read on a forum in a long time, that would be like saying "my computer doesn't turn on, because it doesn't feel like it" ... the silicon and metals these things are made out of have absolutely no concept of luck, your experience could have been down to one of 50 odd things, but what it WASN'T, was luck......
No two chips are identical, they all have flaws. They're rated by the factory to be safe for x Hz, then, if lower Hz chips are in higher demand than chips rated for that Hz, sold at a lower clock speed. It's just luck how high your chip can go. Will there be a flaw in it that stops it from going very high whatsoever?

KRAK_JOE said:

I said it...

link92 said:
No two chips are identical, they all have flaws. They're rated by the factory to be safe for x Hz, then, if lower Hz chips are in higher demand than chips rated for that Hz, sold at a lower clock speed. It's just luck how high your chip can go. Will there be a flaw in it that stops it from going very high whatsoever?

Exactly.

If it wasn't luck of the chip I got a hold of, tell me why out of two exactly identical rigs I built, one of my 2.8GHZ chips only makes it to 3.09 GHz while my other one sits at 3.45GHz? Same board, same coolers, same memory, etc.

Also why can one 955 extreme idle at 35C and the other has trouble staying below 50C? Its all about which chip you get.

It is not luck at all, each chip may not be identical, but then they are pretty close, and so should the results be.
It's also impossible to get two identical machines, for instance was there the exact same amount of thermal compound on each chip ? made by the same company ? one of the fans may not work as well as the other, are they exactly the same age, with the same amount of usage ? were the tracks on the board in exactly the same condition ? was the power supply supllying the exact same amount of wattage ? was the temperature of the room exactly the same on both occasions ? all of these and so many more can make a difference....
There are loads of factors to consider, one of them is definately NOT luck ...

KRAK_JOE said:
It is not luck at all, each chip may not be identical, but then they are pretty close, and so should the results be.
It's also impossible to get two identical machines, for instance was there the exact same amount of thermal compound on each chip ? made by the same company ? one of the fans may not work as well as the other, are they exactly the same age, with the same amount of usage ? were the tracks on the board in exactly the same condition ? was the power supply supllying the exact same amount of wattage ? was the temperature of the room exactly the same on both occasions ? all of these and so many more can make a difference....
There are loads of factors to consider, one of them is definately NOT luck ...

You really like to prod at me don't you?

yes
yes
yes
yes
don't know
yes
yes

Not a difference by over 400 MHz. IT IS THE CHIP. Any respectable forum such as AnAndTech or PCMechanic will tell you the same. Its all about the silicon.

heymrdj said:
You really like to prod at me don't you?

yes
yes
yes
yes
don't know
yes
yes

Not a difference by over 400 MHz. IT IS THE CHIP. Any respectable forum such as AnAndTech or PCMechanic will tell you the same. Its all about the silicon.
Yeah,silicon boobs are good :bunny:

Back