• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Allowed Places for putting Google Ads in a forum

yashved

:wave:
I may be too amateur in my query here but....
I have recently setup a forum on MyBB, on which I want to place Google Ads before making the forum active....
I searched for directions to do so and found that I must place the Google Adsense code in header and footer files. However, doing so will induce ads to be displayed on all pages, which I believe, is against Google Adsense TOS, although I am very confused about this.... :confused4

Also I am unsure about whether we can place ads anywhere on a page or only at top or bottom....

Please shed some light as to which are the places on the fourm where I can legally put my ads and also provide some directions as to exactly where and in which file the code may be placed...... :wave:

Thanks in advance! :)

What's the problem with it appearing on every page? Are some parts of the forum against google TOS?

Think it depends more on how many times it appears 'per page' as a forum post/thread can be taken as one page.

Look in the adsense forums and ask there :) just to be on the safe side you can even ask them directly.

I believe, Google Adsense TOS says that
"No Google ad may be placed on any non-content-based pages. This includes error, login, registration, "thank you" or welcome pages.":p

Hence if I put adsense in the header or footer, it will be visible on registration page, and even other non-content pages like members list, it will most certainly constitute violation of the TOS....

I've had it in the header of my forums for quite a while and I haven't been approached by Mr Google.

He wouldn't dare Jan :p

OP: You could also check out the Mybb related sites and communities, there may well be a modification allowing you to place google ads in specified locations on your forum. Im sure there is one for vB, but I dont use myBB - so I can't be sure. Anyway, worth the check ;)

Would it be OK if I place ads using the side box plugin on the index page, i.e. can I place a 160 x 600 vertical banner on the right side just adjacent to the forums on the index page?

You'd be better using the ads after post one that Jan suggested, just to be on the safe side :)

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Google took Jan on :lol:

Fly on the wall ... 10 miles back ? :p

But Seriously, you should go with the ad underneath the first post, I have seen it on quite a few forums (so almost certainly NO problem with google) and it works fairly well optimisation wise. ;)

You can use one in the header, in the sidebox and after first post :) Just be sure not to have more than 3 text units on one page.

Back