• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

All those who enjoy their privacy or hate microsoft - read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Daniel
The only real reason why you'd use windows is for asp, and games.
You don't need windows for ASP anymore, and many games can run under *nix with wine/x.

I meant ASP.NET.

Many is not enough.

ASP.NEt can be done via FreeBSD too (not Linux). Agreed about the games though. WINE will NEVER EVER be able to emulate kernel32.dll functions, which are used in lotsa games.

ASP.NET can run under BSD? Damn...I'm behind the times.

Now if most games can work under Linux or BSD without losing performance than I'd waste my Win XP cd faster than you can say Wine.

no - he just hasn't figured out that piracy is inevitable and until the prices are low, it will continue

Originally posted by tandoc
no - he just hasn't figured out that piracy is inevitable and until the prices are low, it will continue

Well, actually, you've got the last part a bit wrong...You should have said:

"even if the prices are low, piracy will continue." :D

Now if most games can work under Linux or BSD without losing performance than I'd waste my Win XP cd faster than you can say Wine.

I will too if Linux have a good CAD program, but they didn't and probably never be....:(

Probably the developers knows that if someone is cheap enough not to buy an OS, that someone will also not spend money on such an expensive program like AutoCAD.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
Well, actually, you've got the last part a bit wrong...You should have said:

"even if the prices are low, piracy will continue." :D

not necesarily - if prices ever get low in enough, piracy would be waste of money, which they're starting to figure out with movies, but aren't making it cheaper

Originally posted by aphel aura
Probably the developers knows that if someone is cheap enough not to buy an OS, that someone will also not spend money on such an expensive program like AutoCAD.
I got AutoCAD for 3 bucks at a garage sale a few years ago. I have yet to install it, I don't even know what it does.

Introducing a program that is much more ridiculously priced than Windows, complete with the most draconian license agreement that will put Microsoft to shame.

<drum roll>

AutoDesk AutoCAD2002

But I still use this program because it's simply the best..:(

BTW. AutoCAD 3 is old, just as archaic as Windows 95, hence the price!

Originally posted by trenzterra
No. GT uses Windows too.

all lies ! i installed m$ longhorn under vmware to see how ugly it was and delted it. the only computer in my house not running linux is my dad's laptop and he needs it for work.
anyway back on topic
ms will never take over the world. the popularity of *NIX and BSD os are growing everyday. i can see a war in feature with closed-source ms people are fighting the great open source people. We burn down redmond and billy's little country :devious2:

Last edited:
Windows maybe sucks, but most of the 3rd party programs for Windows are much better than its open source counterpart. There's simply no OSS equivalent for professional software like Photoshop (comparing GIMP with Photoshop is just like comparing Notepad with Microsoft Word), AutoCAD, Macromedia MX suite, Visio etc. Of course there are good OS software like Mozilla and Apache, but almost all of them also have Windows version available for download. So, I think Windows is here to stay, for a very very long time, because what you can do in Linux or BSD can also be done with Windows, but not vice-versa.

Windows maybe sucks, but most of the 3rd party programs for Windows are much better than its open source counterpart. There's simply no OSS equivalent for professional software like Photoshop (comparing GIMP with Photoshop is just like comparing Notepad with Microsoft Word), AutoCAD, Macromedia MX suite, Visio etc. Of course there are good OS software like Mozilla and Apache, but almost all of them also have Windows version available for download. So, I think Windows is here to stay, for a very very long time, because what you can do in Linux or BSD can also be done with Windows, but not vice-versa.

i've gotten ms word to work in linux, but deleted it because i can just use open office which is better anyways. and im working on getting photoshop working under linux too. Dreamweaver should work fine, havent tried it though. i havent done any web design lately, just programming in emacs. :)

Well, not all Windows software will work in Linux. There's are certain things WIndows do that Linux doesn't like. Plus, in almost all cases, it's slower...

Well, not all Windows software will work in Linux. There's are certain things WIndows do that Linux doesn't like. Plus, in almost all cases, it's slower...

windows ? yea i know its slower :D

Well, I'm talking aboud Word (or any other Windows native program) in Linux. Emulation is always slow.

when you are using a 386 it is. my p4 runs them like native.
o and gimp can be almost as powerful as photoshop 7 when you know how to use it.

Originally posted by raz0r
when you are using a 386 it is. my p4 runs them like native.
o and gimp can be almost as powerful as photoshop 7 when you know how to use it.

It is? A friend's Athlon XP 1600 with 512MB RAM doesn't perform like one (Word and IE on Linux), it's like running on an old P2 computer.

I've tried GIMP (and I'm Photoshop user too), and I finds out that I can't do a few things that I can do in Photoshop. PSP seems to be better that GIMP. Maybe you can blame me for not reading manuals, but I should be able to master GIMP after doing Photoshop even without manuals, because I've done that with PSP. Lack of compatible 3rd party plugin is GIMP major weakness, and there's a few others. An image I create in 10 minutes using Photoshop will take Gimp more than 30 minutes to replicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back