• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

all of you ppl need to contact your senators

Oh well, I live in Canada, won't affect me since the US gov't isn't doing anything for me.

Daniel said:
Oh well, I live in Canada, won't affect me since the US gov't isn't doing anything for me.

I live in the USA and the US government isn't doing anything for me lol :rolleyes2

But to be more serious, i don't see whats wrong with that. I'm normally not a Bush supporter, but i think the id is a kind of good thing.

Last edited:
I don't see how this ID is a bad idea either. Everyone already must show approved state-issued ID (whether its an "ID Card" or "Drivers License" - which at least in my state look exactly the same other than the title) to do all these things anyway, so having a uniform one around the nation instead of 50 different ones really makes no difference.

The only possible problem I will see is if everyone starts "scanning" these in and then keeping track of the information as in what you buy, where you shop, etc. Thats the biggest and only problem I see with this, but I imagine that places that ask for ID now will just glance at it for identification purposes as they do now, and the scanning will be reserved for things like airlines and colection of payments from the government.

We'll see, but I'm not sweating it. If it turns out to be a disaster the people will vote a new slate of congressmen in and start a movement to get rid of them.

Last edited:
But what happens when I do a job on the local bank and end up killing someone in the process, and I need to assume a fake identity until I can arrange transport to a safe country? It sounds like I'll have to avoid all goverment services, and won't even be able to open a bank account to deposit what I've collected. That's not very fair. I'm against it, this is an awful idea that'd strip my of rights as a citizen. Big brother is always meddling where it doesn't belong.

Last edited:
We all have state ID's

I dont see what the problem is with a national ID card. It would make travel abroad much easier, keep out more of the bad people from getting in and getting one etc. If they design it anything like the military one, you would be able to have a lot of information on there, which of course I hope would be optional. For example, if you wanted to go to the White House for a tour, Federal Programs wouldnt have to go through the red tape of identification cards from any state etc. I was in the military, and let me tell you that a federally issued ID card is a lot more flexible than trying to use your state id in another state. I think it is the perfect umbrella for certain situations small and large. Even things as simple as going to the bar in another state who are presented with a fake id from another state. The bartender may not know what to look for as far as security features, holograms etc. This would eleviate a lot of minor issues.

Im all for it.

I support the ID. I have contacted my senators and told them I support it and I hope they do too!

I support it, but I don't support garbage back door legislation...if you're going to pass it, do it right.

We have a sort of situation the same in the UK - unfortunately Tony Blair, Bush's poodle boy, is back in and the whole ID situation is still on the table.

We have over here so many things that make you traceable any more is simply taking the p***

Only my opinion but people are not actually being asked but steered down a path to what they get.

We're all numbered coded and filed, why do we need any more?

And it starts young too, I've already gotten credit card solicitations even though I don't have a single line of credit :nervous:

What's worse is that I think my college gave my info away...

Last edited:
I support it, but I don't support garbage back door legislation...if you're going to pass it, do it right.
Same here I think it would make me feel safer especially when flying but come on dont push it through some Iraq thing to pass it! And I am and will always be a Bush supporter!

aggiedude said:
Same here I think it would make me feel safer especially when flying but come on dont push it through some Iraq thing to pass it! And I am and will always be a Bush supporter!

Thats where I draw the line, Bush, the biggest liar on the face of the earth. Look up his brothers, the one who was the security exec, marvin i believe his name is.

pdrucker said:
I live in the USA and the US government isn't doing anything for me lol :rolleyes2

But to be more serious, i don't see whats wrong with that. I'm normally not a Bush supporter, but i think the id is a kind of good thing.

Same thing I completely agree with you..umm..clone :wink2:

Something from another forum...

acabrera said:
Go to www.unrealid.com to fax your senators straight from the website. RealID must not be allowed to pass. This isn't a republican/democrat/right/left/liberal/conservative thing. This is an American thing. It is a bill whose ramifications threaten to destroy the very foundation of this country.

Need to learn more?

Here's the cliffnotes

1.) The power of how state identification will be issued and how it will be issued will be in the hands of The Homeland Security Department. A non-elected body of the government.

2.) Homeland security likes the idea of embedding biometric data (fingerprints or eye scans) onto the card.

3.) homeland security really likes the concept of RFID tags. These tags are basically self-powered short range radio transmitters. Each of them have a unique serial number. This serial number is broadcasted out and when captured can be easily connected to a database. This means that potentially ANY ACTIVITY THAT YOU TAKE PART IN CAN BE TRACKED.

4.) There are no limits in the bill concerning the tracking of this data. Do you trust the government not to do it?

5.) A recently passed Supreme Court decision now states that you must provide identification to any law enforcement official the requests it. This is very close to requiring carrying papers.

This law has so many chilling effects and has not ever even been debated on the floor of the senate but will pass easily if you don't do something

Article from News.com (link)

What's all the fuss with the Real ID Act about?
President Bush is expected to sign an $82 billion military spending bill soon that will, in part, create electronically readable, federally approved ID cards for Americans. The House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved the package--which includes the Real ID Act--on Thursday.

What does that mean for me?
Starting three years from now, if you live or work in the United States, you'll need a federally approved ID card to travel on an airplane, open a bank account, collect Social Security payments, or take advantage of nearly any government service. Practically speaking, your driver's license likely will have to be reissued to meet federal standards.

The Real ID Act hands the Department of Homeland Security the power to set these standards and determine whether state drivers' licenses and other ID cards pass muster. Only ID cards approved by Homeland Security can be accepted "for any official purpose" by the feds.

How will I get one of these new ID cards?
You'll still get one through your state motor vehicle agency, and it will likely take the place of your drivers' license. But the identification process will be more rigorous.

For instance, you'll need to bring a "photo identity document," document your birth date and address, and show that your Social Security number is what you had claimed it to be. U.S. citizens will have to prove that status, and foreigners will have to show a valid visa.

State DMVs will have to verify that these identity documents are legitimate, digitize them and store them permanently. In addition, Social Security numbers must be verified with the Social Security Administration.

What's going to be stored on this ID card?
At a minimum: name, birth date, sex, ID number, a digital photograph, address, and a "common machine-readable technology" that Homeland Security will decide on. The card must also sport "physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes."

Homeland Security is permitted to add additional requirements--such as a fingerprint or retinal scan--on top of those. We won't know for a while what these additional requirements will be.

Why did these ID requirements get attached to an "emergency" military spending bill?
Because it's difficult for politicians to vote against money that will go to the troops in Iraq and tsunami relief. The funds cover ammunition, weapons, tracked combat vehicles, aircraft, troop housing, death benefits, and so on.

Back