• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Afer Startup, programs take 3 minutes to launch.

NovaWo1f

Hello, just recently, about a week ago or so, whenever i startup my computer, it all looks ok, zonealarm loads fine, free ram xp loads fine. then, if i try to launch any program (browser, email, even a ctrl+alt+del) nothing happens. I try again, still nothing. five minutes later. everything starts up, windows appear and its all good. This is very irritating, any idea what would cause that? I searched google, and one website had this same question, but you had to pay to subscribe to get the fix. ugh. I've ran ad-aware and spybot, nothing, antivirus, nothing. very odd, odd indeed. Can anyone help? :/

Do a CTRL-ALT-DEL

When it loads, click 'Performance' TAB and tell me the following:

CPU Useage:
Memory Useage:

and I also need to know the following:

CPU Model/speed:
Total System RAM:
Hard Disk Space (used/free):

Allright, just after it started i hit ctrl+alt+del, and the screen popped up, heres a screenie of it . The last peak after the block of large cpu usage, was when i first clicked to launch firefox. Then theres that dead silence, the little peak before the big peak was when i launched thunderbird, then the graph went on for another whole minute of usage not going above 5% before the programs actualy started. I switched over to the process view, and sorted by cpu usage, during this whole time the System Idle Processes was taking 93-98% of the cpu usage, even though the graph (and the text in the statusbar) never went above 5% usage. Odd. My specs are:
1.8ghz
384mb ram
hd: 20ish gigs used, 16ish gigs free.

Everything seems fine.. just one query:

Why is it 384mb ram? Is is shared with video?

EDIT: Also, the 'System Idle Process' is ment to report 95-98%. This is 95%-98% of that 5% :)

Last edited:
128 stock + 256 added = 384. I do have an integrated gfx card, but its disbaled and i use another one. Also, dunno if this had anything to do with it, but zonealarm said there was an update, so i downloaded it and installed it. It had to reboot the comp, and soon as it started up, i launched browser, and it and a few other proggies loaded immediatly... think the outdated zonealarm could have been contributing to the slowness?

Zone Alarm most likely wont cause much of a problem. You said you scanned for spyware etc..? What programs didyou use (please list them all) and do you run programs such as KaZaA? :)

I used Ad-Aware and Spybot, plus mcaffe anti virus. and no i dont use kazaa. This is odd, i've restarted three times, and its problem free now. Whatever it was, must've dissapeared. But, who really knows...

No :( it won't update. Everytime i try to the auto-updater will not launch. something about a dynamic link library not found. and i can't reinstall it cause it says the setup file cant be found (its a 90 day trial bundled with the comp.)

I just downloaded AVG antivirus, running a scan now, i did defrag like a month ago, and re-installed xp about three months ago. Also, just yesterday i ran a registery cleaner to clean up the registry and stuff.

Well, i've had the dll problem since i first installed it. It never could update. I just used avg back then, but when i reinstalled xp i could get the trial again, but the updater never could update. oh well. avg hasnt found nothing yet.

What im saying is that the Registry Cleaner has possibly wiped out the registry entries for those DLL's..

You MAY need to reinstall XP..

I have a similar problem. (No, I'm not hijacking your thread to ask for it to be fixed :classic2: )
ZoneAlarm and a lot of other taskbar programs will load, but my computer won't load anything I try to launch until ZA and PCAlert are fully running. Do you happen to run PCAlert, or a similar temperature monitoring program?

I had a similar problem before... formatting the hd and reinstalling xp did the trick for me.

try looking at the sessions of the pc via taskmanager

seee what problems ahve occured and what havnt, then i might be able to help, usually a problem like this revolves around a faulty hard-disk to a corrupt system file or plainly a VIRUS

so if u give out more info on the problem, what sort of pc/hdd u have i can give u a fix for it??

Well, its all fine now. No problems atall. :/
notnamed: Nope, dont use none.

I really think it might have had something to do with zonealarm. Cause since i updated it, everything loads like normal. *shrugs* oh well, thanks for the help everyone.

GO to Start > Run > tye msconfig

than go to start up and disable everything
check the important stuff like zone alarm..

and restart... there may be an ad program in your pc,,, try running ad ware and do an ad update.

Back