• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

advice on a speculator

mattbullis

I was just looking up my domain names to see who has registered a simular name lately. Well I found one company that registered the .net .org .biz and info of my .com domain. I quickly put a web page back up stating my trademark in small print and the date it was created.

Do you all think they are going to try and get this name from me? I was thinking about letting this domain expire, but after finding this out, i changed my mind. I also went to the domain of the email address for those domains and it states that they are a non-profit company. strange for a non-profit to buy all the domains on the block.

Any advice would be great.

I'm not exactly sure what your trademark (in theory) has to do with this. Do we think they'll make a bid on your domain (is that what you're asking) ???

If it expires soon, chances are they want it, and that's why they registered all the other extensions already. If you do not have plans for the domain, I would suggest selling it. But it's up to you. Sell something you have no use for, or be a nice person and give something you no longer need to someone who will find a use for it.

I heard in the past that people would have their domains taken when a company creates a trademark that matches it. on more then one accation the domain holder had the domain longer then the trademark was in existance.

I had it, at one time, at Afternic for $100,000 untill i figured out it was wothless. I may offer it to them for a few hundred or no less then 100. Who knows what type of media giant they could make. btw the name is thenewsworld.com. Most domains with THE in front aren't very easy to market.

Last edited:
The only way I could see that a name previously registered before a trademark was awarded to the new trademark holder, is that the person who owned the domain originally decided to copy or mimic the newer domains and thus violated the trademark. They've no used the domain for anything, so I don't think it is a concern at this point.

Originally posted by Chicken
They've no used the domain for anything

I think there is no way for a third person to find out, if a domain is used. Only the dns-hoster can tell you, if the domain is used.
Note: A domain can be used for mail, news, a.s.o.

I have a domain only to connect via ssh from one computer to another and you will not find any website for this domain. You even cannot ping it ;)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Albert

I think there is no way for a third person to find out, if a domain is used. Only the dns-hoster can tell you, if the domain is used.[clip]
Except that anyone can look up your DNS information using "dig" or many other DNS lookup utilities...

You can't actually hide the fact the domain is in use just by not having a website.

-t

How can I see with the queries below, that the domain is used. I only see that the domain is "setup", but I do not see, if the domain is used by 1 person or more, or if there are x MB transferred or whatever.

dig @NS1.MAXIMUMSERVER.COM freewebspace.net soa

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @NS1.MAXIMUMSERVER.COM freewebspace.net soa
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 6
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;; freewebspace.net, type = SOA, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
freewebspace.net. 42m40s IN SOA a.ns.freewebspace.net. hostmaster.freewebspace.net. (
999800828 ; serial
4h33m4s ; refresh
34m8s ; retry
1w5d3h16m16s ; expiry
42m40s ) ; minimum

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
freewebspace.net. 3D IN NS a.ns.freewebspace.net.
freewebspace.net. 3D IN NS b.ns.freewebspace.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
a.ns.freewebspace.net. 3D IN A 66.33.36.26
b.ns.freewebspace.net. 3D IN A 66.33.36.27

;; Total query time: 212 msec
;; FROM: client2 to SERVER: NS1.MAXIMUMSERVER.COM 66.33.36.26
;; WHEN: Sun Apr 7 23:26:10 2002
;; MSG SIZE sent: 34 rcvd: 148

host -v -t soa freewebspace.net NS1.MAXIMUMSERVER.COM
Using domain server:
Name: NS1.MAXIMUMSERVER.COM
Address: 66.33.36.26
Aliases: