• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

"addon domains" vs "multiple domains"

zoobie

Mile High Club
NLC
Is an addon domain just a pointer to the main domain's folder? :confused2

Last edited:
I'd check with the host you're considering instead of asking here... both could be interpreted as a term for domain aliasing and both could be having multiple domains with seperate content.

Yes, it can vary from control panel to control panel and terminology wise, from host to host.

With cpanel an added domain points to a subdomain allowing the siteadmin to upload files to multiple domains through one ftp account.

Regards

Gary

Ahh...This is why one person was saying yes and another was saying no. Such madness...Thanks :cool:

I think of addon domains and multiple domains as basically the same thing. It does vary for each CP but the amount of addon means pretty much the same as the number of multiple domains you get.

Yep, from host to host the interpretation can differ. But when I think of "multiple", I consider seperate items. So with multiple domains, seperate accounts/control panels/features. For which either a true multiple domain account is required, or a reseller account.

It's asking for trouble to tell a potential client "sure mate...you can host plenty of extra domains" only to have the client find out later that you've shafted them with a single account and the ability to tag on a dozen domains.

Cheers

Gary

What got me wondering was this post @ WHT:

An addon domain is a domain parked on a subdomain of the main domain, and pointed to a subdirectory of the main site. Therefore you can have several domains hosted in the same account and pointing to different content.

Addon domains can have their own POP accounts and can not have subdomains.

The advantage of having addon domains is you can manage them and a main domain with a single control panel.

To Explain in English, it works like Parked Domains, but instead of parking a domain on top of main domain.. (ie.. www.mysite.com (Main) has www.mysite.net (Parked))
it lets you park on what *would be* a "SubDomain" (ie.. sub.mysite.com)
So with "Addon" you can have www.differentsite.com point to a subfolder or your main site www.mysite.com. Where with "Parked domains" This cant be done, and allows for the cheapest way to do what is called "Virtual Multiple Domain Hosting"

The advantage of having addon domains is you can manage them and a main domain with a single control panel.

Which in our experience, is not what most folks want or are expecting, when they want to host multiple domains. There are some that do, for ease of management. But we find the majority want a seperate control panel at least, because the domains belong to someone else.

Cheers

Gary

Back