• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

?? about starting web site

jiji

I'm new to web hosting....(though I've posted here before asking questions)
I've tried the free thing and it doesnt work...always downtime and the like...
so I've decided to get paid hosting.
ths thing is I dont know anything about what is best for web sites...all this web lingo is new to me...
so...for a personal web site. what is best?
what do you need?
I would like to find a host and domain site that isnt going to break me in the wallet.....
under $50 us a year...thats all I can do....and all I'm willing....
my site is mainly an art art...so graphics and stuff are what I'm going to be doing......
btw..what is a resellers account?

Last edited:
First, Reseller accounts are sold to those wishing to start their own webhosting service, but not have to manage a server. So, they purchase the hosting, and "re-sell" it for a slightly inflated price, therefore giving them some profit.

Now, as for specs, most plans are fairly similar. Disk space is the amount of storage you will need for your site. Bandwidth is the amount of transfer (almost always listed in GB/month). For most sites, starting out with 2 GB should do, then you can upgrade when needed.

Most places will offer similar scripting languages available. Windows based servers will have ASP support, whereas Unix servers will not. However, PHP/Perl-CGI/MySQL are common to almost all hosts.

As for other features, the number of mailboxes available shouldn't be a factor, and you won't need a static IP (I don't see what for).

As for reccomendations, http://myacen.com has a cheap Beginner plan ($24.95/year), and I have never used them, but http://valcato.net has some even cheaper plans.

Have a look at http://www.hostpulse.com and do a search for a company that offers hosting for either < $5 per month or somewhere between $5 - $10 per month. You can search by platform and/or the amount of disk space you require.

hmm..ok...
so is it important to find a place that gives a money back guarantee?
and what is PHP/Perl-CGI/MySQL ??
sorry I dont know these things..that's why I'm asking....
and you're right I dont need any mailboxes or stuff....got plenty of my own already....
this is just a beginers personal site I want to set up....
and is it better to get a domain name through a domain site or find a host site that registers ones on their own site?
or does it matter at all?

Originally posted by jiji

and is it better to get a domain name through a domain site or find a host site that registers ones on their own site?
or does it matter at all?
It CAN matter, depending on the host. It would be in your best interest to get a domain from a domain registrar rather than hoping the host is honest and gives you full access to it.

Too many have been burnt :angry2:

PHP/Perl/CGI etc are site programming languages, that do a bit (and a lot) more than your regular HTML.

mySQL is a very common SQL (server query language) database system. It allows sites to, instead of having data within all the data, to be in a seperate database, that allows flexible and dynamic access to the data.

These forums (and most) use PHP and mySQL to make storing data quick clean and small.

If you want dynamic components (forums, CMS etc), then you'll probably need PHP/mySQL at least.

If you're looking for a domain name registrar, I'd suggest Godaddy.com. I registered my domain name with them and had no problems at all. And best of all, it's really cheap, only $8.95 for a year.

wow..thanks people for all the great info...
ok...as far as domains go...what should I look for?
anything in peticular makes one registar better than another?

wow..thanks people for all the great info...
ok...as far as domains go...what should I look for?
anything in peticular makes one registar better than another?

Make sure the domain is registerd in your name and giving you full access to your domain name(manage dns, etc.).

okie..for those domain places mentioned....what are all the fees to setup a domain?
anyone know?

I actually have...and I cant seem to find anything about setup fees and the like..just about what it will cost per year...
I was just wondering if anyone used these sites...what they remembered they had to pay when they signed up...

just about what it will cost per year...
There shouldn't be any other charges apart from the cost of registering a domain :confused:

I have two domains at different places and it is a set fee.....*****.com for $*.** that's it, that is the only charge (or should be)

so...why would myostrich be better than godaddy?
godaddy has much lower prices...is there better service on myostrich?
thanks for all the info and replies....I really appreciate it....its been so helpful to me...

so...why would myostrich be better than godaddy?
godaddy has much lower prices...is there better service on myostrich?
I didn't say they were better :) I had a domain to reregister and as the registrar was in the Phillipines and wanted payment in pesos, I asked Tims advice on how to transfer.

He was very helpful so I decided to transfer it to myostrich and he walked me through the process painlessly. It was all finalised in a couple of hours.

I have had no experience with godaddy, so I can't compare :)

Back