• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

About PHP-Nuke

m4g1cky

Hello,
I recently became the winner of a contest on these boards for free webhosting, however, because this is the first time I have hosting with PHP, and MySQL, I decided to go with PHP-Nuke. But, I am a total noob, there are so many directories and such, I have no idea where to upload.

I know this about my host: Linux Server, PHP 4.01, MySQL, and 275megs Space. So I have more than enough, If someone would be so kind as to upload the phpnuke for me, I'd be grateful. I have a skin and everything, I only need help with uploading the PHP-Nuke.

AIM me at m4glight
or
MSN me at m4g1cky@hotmail.com

Please help.

Hi,

Good news. I also won at that contest. I only need to register my domain and i'm set.

First of all you need a ftp program such as WS_FTP. Afterwards you need to ask the ftp address and logon. There you upload everything that is in the html directory in php-nuke, and set the directories to 777 and files to 666 (or something like that). After you finished this part you go to your phpadmin account (somewhere on your cpanel) to access your database. Inside your database you upload the file named nuke.sql from the sql directory (that is on your harddrive). That's it. Then, you go to your website and create a super account (follow the steps) and your done.

NOTE. I used php-nuke and I had some problems with the forum (administration and moderator control), so you may want to reconsider using phpnuke's forum and use invision, which I find much easier to use.

Also, I don't think php-nuke will work since you need
PHP version 4.1.x or better (mod_php) Apache module (http://www.php.net)
Give it a try though and tell me if it works.

I have a question for you. Do you have a domain? Because you need one in order to use the services offered by the contest.
This is the reason why I am in a hurry to register a domain.

Originally posted by m4g1cky
... there are so many directories and such, I have no idea where to upload....
php is not like cgi (on most hosts), where you have to put the scripts in a specific directory (cgi-bin). You can put php scripts everywhere. Just upload it to your root web directory (usually /public_html/), follow the install instructions, and everything should be okay. php-nuke's install instructions should be included in the zip, just have a quick look for it.

You will need your MySQL database name, the MySQL username and password...

...and set the directories to 777 and files to 666 (or something like that)...
... isn't that supposed to be 755?

Back