• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A very stupid question

loggerheads

2 very stupid questions

alright then
1)what is the difference between gif and jpeg? Which 1 is smaller, and what are the disadvantages of it, ie why is that 1 not always used?
This is probably really obvious, but hey, I'm dumb.
2) What fonts can be used in html, ie in the style bit or whatever I just type the font name, as opposed to making a graphic or whatever. is it just the 6 default type 1's?
again stupid question. oh well.

Last edited:
:book: Which is the smallest depends on your original picture.

GIF uses lossless compression (don't lose details, just reduces colors) and works well with pictures with large, monochrome areas. Max 256 colors. Think cartoon.

JPG uses lossy compression (destroys details partly). Works best with pictures with a lot of details and many colors, like photographs. Because of the lossy compression you loose a little quality each time a JPG is saved.

Each one make the smallest files for the type of image they are best suited for. It's a common misunderstanding that GIF is always smaller. A "giffed" photograph is typically several times the size of a good quality JPG

Re: 2 very stupid questions

Originally posted by loggerheads
2) What fonts can be used in html, ie in the style bit or whatever I just type the font name, as opposed to making a graphic or whatever. is it just the 6 default type 1's?
again stupid question. oh well.
Most fonts can be used in html, but if you go too fancy chances are that 90% of your site viewers will not be able to see it because they don't have it on their system.

so It'll only work with 1s that people hav installed. right. so what would they see if they havent got it? Those square type wingdingesque things?

They will see what they have as their default font in their browser. If they haven't changed it manually they will see Times New Roman :eek:

<add> that would also depend on the country I guess, Asians might see the square thingies.

i am asian and the only "square things" i see are people! :)

actually it has nothing to do with being asian or european or what-not.

it's ur language setting

... and here in malaysia i can safely guess 99% of the pcs are set to NOT see "square thingies" ;)

its language settings/fonts installed isn't it? If I want to see a chinese/russian page, then I would have to download hat font thing.

OK, I was just reading on this site about the possibility of embeddign the font so it downlaods with the rest of ur page, I was wondering
A how likely it is to get the security warning things with this, ie what level of safety or whatever its called in internet options,
and
B how much slower does it make the page?

Embedded fonts you mean? I haven't tried it myself, but support is still partly flukey. I think one has to use different methods for different browsers and some won't support it at all.

It's probably not a good idea to use an unusual font. Better make headings or whatever into images.

Do you know that you can specify alternate fonts? If the user doesn't have the first the second is used. If that isn't available the third is used and so on.

yeh, but there's no real point in doing that if the font I really want them to see very few people will have, I may as well just leave it and have them see their default. Still, I'll experiment with this embedded thing.

well, interestingly, the weft thing, which supposedly creates the embedded font files for IE refuses to install on my pc, saing please close down al applications when they are already closed. oh well.

Back