• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A question for Gcites

Status
Not open for further replies.

sHaWn

When you give a user access to a cgi-bin, do you also give them FTP acceess? Dealing with cgi with a browser could make anyone scream! ;)

i got an account there to put up a message board for a friend, but could never log into it through ftp. and browser-based file managers are the devil.

Hi,

Ron give up if you look at all the members we host not a single one of them have ads :) you may try and scare all 3000 of my members and good luck ;) Keith what is your username?

Thank you
webmaster@gcites.com

That's right...you've decided that a search box is NOT an ad and therefore you're ad-free! Almost forgot about that. Let's have a vote.

Who here thinks that having a search box is essentially the same thing as having an ad and therefore is NOT ad-free? Does *anyone* here disagree with me on that point? I'm not asking if it's better to have a search box over an ad. I'm asking if having a search box instead of an ad makes it an ad-free FWP! It's pretty damn plain to me that it doesn't. What does everyone else think?

[Edited by Ron Seigel on 11-19-2000 at 11:16 PM]

Anything that makes the host money ( which I assume the search box does ) is not exactly an ad, but it is basically the same purpose and you're putting something on the user's page without their approval.

Searchbox = Ad? No.
Same purpose? Yes.
Same user complaints? Yes.
Would I rather have a banner? Yes.

Ron damnit for once can you think and use your brain? none of our pages contain searchboxes on users pages. Ask the members on the forums damnit get your act together you old sheep :)

Gcities - You know something .... Your playing right into the trap. Your acting like the moron people want you to. Who in there right mind would host with an immature child who cant make his mind up if hes banner free or search box free.

You have proved to me and maybe many of other people that your a host who doesnt have a clue ..... You related to the guy at thinkhost?.

*yawns* me tired need coffeeeeee..... 72 hours no sleep.

Originally posted by Technics
Gcities - You know something .... Your playing right into the trap. Your acting like the moron people want you to. Who in there right mind would host with an immature child who cant make his mind up if hes banner free or search box free.

You have proved to me and maybe many of other people that your a host who doesnt have a clue ..... You related to the guy at thinkhost?.

*yawns* me tired need coffeeeeee..... 72 hours no sleep.

listen to technics.. he know's from experience. :)

Maybe i do maybe i dont stu hehehehehe .....

Gcities.... if your members asked you for a dedicated server would you give them it just cos they asked?.

What i think

I think he would. Would any free host. Well anyway i think a search box is an ad (even though apparentaly he doesn't have it anymore)

As Ron has said about a billion times, there is nothing worng with putting an ad on your users pages. Look at Geocities and Tripod, Xoom (no more), etc. Last I checked, they all had ads (some reeeeally irritating ones too).

Money is what is going to make you a good, solid, fast FWP. Without it, you'll be *poof* in no time. People who want dependable ad-free space can pay for it. Meanwhile, you should attempt at making as much money as possible to buy another server, upgrade this and that.

Geocities might have ads, but I've never heard complaints they they are slow. I know my angelfire account way back in the day was just fine.

Point is, don't offer ad-free space because people want it- of course they want it. Pay your bills and get some money to expand!

Originally posted by Chicken
As Ron has said about a billion times, there is nothing worng with putting an ad on your users pages. Look at Geocities and Tripod, Xoom (no more), etc. Last I checked, they all had ads (some reeeeally irritating ones too).

Money is what is going to make you a good, solid, fast FWP. Without it, you'll be *poof* in no time. People who want dependable ad-free space can pay for it. Meanwhile, you should attempt at making as much money as possible to buy another server, upgrade this and that.

Geocities might have ads, but I've never heard complaints they they are slow. I know my angelfire account way back in the day was just fine.

Point is, don't offer ad-free space because people want it- of course they want it. Pay your bills and get some money to expand!

I agree ... people can't just expect a really fast server and a rich featured FWP falling from the sky and into their laps. Their is a price for everything and if ads is what you need to put on your FWP then go for it.

they're big, ugly, & soemtimes(as is always) interfere with the deisgn. People see big corporate sites without banners, so they think "why do we gotta have em!! No fair" Although, those big corporate sites pay for their webspace.

Some pay dearly! I can understand the argument of messing up the pages, but you'll also notice that many corp. sites do have banners, and that the sites are designed with a space for them. Some designers get pretty creative and make the banner area fit in nicely and look pretty good!

You just have to know the limitations of the medium you are designing for. It might mean that you can't have a framed site (not a bad suggestion anyhow). Other than that...

Just don't search for ad-free web space, only to put your own banner ad on it than makes less than $20/mo. If this is the case, then you'd usually be MUCH better off going with a FWP with an ad that has better servers. Think of it as saving yourself the $20/mo paid hosting fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back