• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A newbie's stupid question

billijung

Hi,

I want to know the difference between page hits and page views (impression).

(or a link to an explanation of these terms would be really appreciated)

Thanks!

Hits
Hits to the server, every sever pull is also known as a hit.

PageViews
The amount of pages viewed from the server.

Accesses
Same as hits.

Visits
The amount of unique pageviews within a 24 hour period. So 30,000 uniques a month is around 100 unique vists per day.

Hope that helped,

Also note that "impressions" can differ from "page views."

For example, if you have a standard 468x60 banner at the top and bottom of each page, and if you have 100K page views, that would be 200K impressions.

However, many banner ad networks, espciecially for CPM, require banners to be placed "above the fold" (i.e. near the top of the page), so, as far as they were concerned, your *useable* impressions would be the same as your page views (a.k.a. "page hits.")

Originally posted by wsz

However, many banner ad networks, espciecially for CPM, require banners to be placed "above the fold" (i.e. near the top of the page), so, as far as they were concerned, your *useable* impressions would be the same as your page views (a.k.a. "page hits.")

so you saying eevry ad load would be a page impressions, I get less page impressions than I do page views recorded by the server because of cache and using cache busting ad code.

Which would you advise to use for page view numbers, ad impression count or count made by the server, because i get lots of repeat traffic, my page views tend to be 15% of ad impressions every month, is that normal.

so what the best to use for page view numbers, How many it says in server reports or how many ad impressions you deliver (assuming you have 1 ad a page)

I don't think many ad networks would be concerned with a 15% margin of error, since month-to-month traffic fluctuations (and ad count rates) are often more dramatic than that. Thus, you could very likely use whichever figure works best for you.

Keep in mind, too, that if you sign up with a network who implements superior cache-busting code, this gap may narrow.

Still, since ad networks are concerned mainly with how many of their ads are actually delivered, the ad impressions figure is the more appropriate of the two.

Back