• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A deal so great in comptuers I couldn't resist!

Conscript

NLC
NLC
I just bought an eMachines at Circuit City!

Now before you point and laugh hear me out. The computer has the following specs:

AMD Sempron 3100+ (according to benchmarks I've seen this is roughly the same chip and comparable in performance to the the AMD Athlon 64 3200, without the 64 bit instructions).

256MB RAM
DVD Burner
Media Card Reader
60GB HD

Now the kicker is, it had an open AGP port, which is super rare in cheap computers! And the price? Get a load of this - $249 after rebates!!!

So I bought it, took it home, put in an old GeForce MX4000 64MB AGP Card in there for now.

I ordered a GeForce 6600 128MB AGP off of egghead along with 512MB of RAM to add to it for $180 total.

So $249 + $180 = $429

At that price its going to have solid video and gaming possiblities, already has a capable processor, and the RAM is going to total 768MB.

Not bad huh? I think it was a heck of a deal.

I dont think I couldve put together a better system from scratch. I mean a good case by itself would run $60 at minimum, a motherboard at least $70, a DVD burner about $90ish, a media card reader another $20, so we're already at almost $250 and I haven't even added any RAM or Processor to it nor a Hard Drive.

I am happy. A half decent system for so cheap. Thank you eMachines for including an AGP port thus making your system adequate for upgrading and purchasing! *thumbs up*

In case you want to look up the system the model is T3101.

It was $399 before rebates at Circuit City and had 2 rebates totaling $150, thus the price after rebates is $249.

Last edited:
I own a emachines too. They are good and with all the rebates I got:

256MB Memory
80GB HD
2.7 Ghz Intel Celeron (the one downside)
CD Burner
Floppy (I do a lot of old PC repair work so was very happy to find it with floppy)
17" CRT Monitor
Lexmark Printer

Price: 400 Dollars after rebates!

I attached my DVD Burner and it is a great system, I am 14 so it was a great deal for what I got and I really needed it.

I bought mine at Best Buy and it is my baby bc I love computers and to have my own was great..updgraded to 15" Flat Panel, got my ipod hooked up to it, and all my video editing stuff runs on it great. All it needs is more memory which aftera year and a half I am FINALY getting. Yes so I think I proved my point...bargin pcs are not always bad...lol...guess u guys really didn't want my computers life story.

Enjoy your new computer Conscript!

If you wanna get more RAM, Circuit City currently has a deal for 512MB of RAM for $20ish. It should be on their site.

I will be enjoying my computer, thanks. eMachines are great computers for people who are strapped for cash or new at computing. I don't fit into either category, but I am glad that eMachines has some models out there that include an AGP port (maybe someday theyll have a PCI-E port too!) so that they are upgradeable into professional computers at a low price.

It's not bad I suppose... I still could've built it cheaper though. ;)

Oh, and DVD burners are only like 38 bucks now.

Yeah. Tell him to get an AGP graphics card in there - any will do even a crappy $30 one. One he does that he will gain full use of his RAM! Out of the box only 192MB are available, and even a crappy card will give him full 256MB + better graphics (as anything is better than integrated).

Bruce, how could you manage to build it cheaper?

I could've built it for about $400. It's not much cheaper, but you also don't have to mess around with rebates.

//edit

This is assuming no monitor, keyboard/mouse of course. You didn't mention that in your post, so I'm assumign just the tower.

Well I got a keyboard and mouse. The mouse I put away cause I have a better optical one, but the keyboard I am using.

I didn't get a monitor or printer, just the tower, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. They aren't great speakers or anything but they are powered and pretty decent for regular computer use.

So basically you'd more or less break even if you built it from scratch as opposed to buying the eMachines and doing simple upgrades. Sure, the rebates are a little bit of a hassle, but they only take about 5 minutes to fill out and mail, and the ugprades take about 10 minutes to put in and configure if necessary, where as building a comptuer from scratch would take about an hour.

And are you including Windows XP Home Edition in your price as well? Cause my eMachines came with Windows XP Home, Microsoft Works, Encarta, and Nero Burning ROM.

Nah, you can't beat their prices with bundled software.

It's a good deal for what you got. I've just never had the best of luck with rebates, personally.

if you know what your doing theres nothing wrong with getting a cheap computer. its only the people who are afraid to open their cases who need to buy one of the big brand names.

Yeah, I think it was a hell of a deal too :) If you are careful you can really get a great value, you just have to look over what you're buying cause not all computers are designed to be easily upgradable.

Bundled software is sometimes messy though, especially the operating system which has routines to check hardware information, such as your mobo, to make sure you're not using it on a non-_insert_brand_here_ machine. Granted, your license was only meant for that machine, but still... :p

At office depot, we are always having great deals on Computers, even though I hate brand computers, some of the deals are just too hard to give up. So I buy them for friends

Name Brands are what I grew up with. Now I am willing and acutally wanting to build my own however I can not afford that. My Computer was a great deal so I am happy. Btw about the memory the Circut City deal was great but for PC3200 I have PC2700...which SUCKS because Frys no longer has ANY deals for PC2700 only PC3200. Oh well...

Umm PC3200 will work with PC2700 mobos! It will just run slower at 2700 instead of its full 3200. They are backwards compatible!

I'd suggest you format reinstall right away. Apparently, all big name OEM computers ship with WebTangent and crap... From what I gather, from a brand new Dell dimension, you got 20+ objects found by Ad Aware right first boot. Dunno about eMachines though. But I wouldn't risk it..

Personally, I would never buy OEM anymore.

Conscript said:
Umm PC3200 will work with PC2700 mobos! It will just run slower at 2700 instead of its full 3200. They are backwards compatible!

I OFFICALY feel like an idiot....I know so much about computers but there is always that one thing I dont know. Okay thanks so much...I AM SO DUMB :doh!:

that is a good deal, i shall check best buy,, but what's the difference between a eMachine anyway? compared to laptops etc that are 1000 dollars and more, those seem really cheap

well emachines are just sorta budget desktops. But they are a little bit above average for budget. The best I can describe it

oh btw..thanks Conscript I found another good deal at Frys for PC3200 512MB and after I used my gift certificate and rebates it only cost me like 12 dollars!

Back