• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

64bit or dual core?

Get the best of both worlds: 64-bit dual-core.

All of AMD's dual-core offerings are 64-bit.

Last edited:
In a home computing environment, rarely will you reach the limits of the processor. Reaching the limits of your memory is quite common however. Getting either a 64-bit or a dual core will usually be more than enough.

For a server, I recommend getting a dual-core dual Opteron. I have a box with that in it. 64 bit, it's nice.

All dual-core processors are 64bit enabled. Including Intels.

Except for maybe the Celeron dual-cores, but that's not even a processor... more like a hotplate.

Daniel said:
All dual-core processors are 64bit enabled. Including Intels.

Except for maybe the Celeron dual-cores, but that's not even a processor... more like a hotplate.

and also with the exception of the Intel Core Duos...they don't have EMT64

I assuming because they based the Duo on the Pentium M, which of course was never made to support 64-bit code. But yes, an odd thing indeed.

Daniel said:
That's odd.. Never knew that, and it makes no sense...
I really don't like Intel's new naming scheme. Dropping the Pentium name was a bad move...

The Core Duo (Yonah) has never had EMT64 support. For mobile EMT64 support, you'll have to wait for the mobile Core 2 Duo (Merom).

The desktop line of Core 2 Duo chips (Conroe) will have EMT64 support.

Last edited:
I just bought a budget price processor for less than £100 and according to toms-hardware guide, it can be oc'd to match a £600 processor, easy...just did not know I would have to buy ddr2 ram...so roll on the end of the month....

id go for dual core no matter what, whether your running a lot programs or using a lota memory or not, its good ot have it anyway =]

im gonna be using the comp for gaming and just regular stuff...idk which to get, but im probably gonna be getting AMD, either 64bit or dual-core 64bit...idk which though...

Back