• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

5 Most Important Features For Free Hosting

I post too, cccc :biggrin2: .... for me:
1. FTP (must)
2 NO AD, or User placeable ads (must no pop-ups)
3. PHP/MySQL (must)
4. 25MB above (20m is also fine)
5. acceptable file size limit (i.e. 1~3MB)

This is fantastic...We are getting a great feedback...Thank you to each one of you...This thread I am sure will be valuable for all those hosting entrepreneurs out there who are thinking of offering the perfect hosting product/service...We ourselves are thinking of offering a product that incorporates all of your feedback just for the members/visitors of this forum. If we decide to offer this special product, we will post it right here in this forum/thread with more details.

Thank you again.

Mister.net http://mister.net

Here are my 5:

- super reliability (99.5% uptime or more)
- 5 MB webspace
- 500 MB transfer
- 1 banner and 1 pop-up per page
- web-upload (and maybe FTP upon request)

And be honest! If it is free hosting, it should be free, not at the expense of "buying" a $29 domain name. I had a look at random sites hosted by you and you are the admin of their domains.

The administrator of the domain does not have to be the owner of the domain, nor does the technical contact have to be the owner of the domain. Under new rules from ICANN which have been in place for almost twelve months not all information about a domain's registration is available at a whois service of any registrar. So your criticism is unfounded.

Ok what is the 5 most important things for the host or to have given? i will go for both..

For the host to do
1. Have good uptime
2. Have great support..maybe a forum or something
3. Be online alot yourself
4. Get rid of all illegal sitez such as warez
5. Keep a decent speed up

To offer he said most important.. not best things to offer.. greedys
1. FTP find it to be a key factor
2. PHP Used by most scripts now
3. About 1GB Bandwidth
4. 50 mbs space
5.No ads would be good but you gotta be able to support your hosting somehow so maybe a text link or a placable add that way people can work it around there layout or into.

5 Most Important Things Listed Below, and these are true.
1) Still Be Around In A Week
2) If Num 1 Comes True, then try for 2 Weeks
3) If Num 2 Happenes, Then why not 1 month
4) If Num 3 Exists, Then Try for 2 Months
5) If Num 4 Works, Then go for half a year.

They are the most important features of a free host.

1. 5-6MB webspace
2. FTP
3. reliable
4. Allow virtual folder listing or whatever it's called (being able to see the files of a directory if there's no index.html)
5. CGI or PHP optionally (no MySQL)

Originally posted by nicknapper

4. Allow virtual folder listing or whatever it's called (being able to see the files of a directory if there's no index.html)

That's important?! :eek:

Care to explain? :confused2

i think it is speed is average on all the world, 3gb bandwith, 30Mb space, at least %95 uptime, php/perl ( mysql is optional ), ads must be user friendly ( my choice is foot banners or foot links ). It accepts from users come from all over the world.

Well, i figured if i could make the perfect host, these would be the features:

1. 50mb space
2. 1.5+gb transfer
3. User gets the ad choice (Popups or foot banners, or even a text link/button)
4. PHP
5. mySQL can be earned (I'd say if the user already has an ezboard and it has good visitors, allow them to get a board with your mySQL. )

(Domain hosting would be nice as well)

Originally posted by KBC
Good Uptime
20MB of webspace
FTP
User Placeable Banner
500 - 750MB of Bandwidth

I agree with that as well..
Good Uptime: in other words.. make the site work all the time!
FTP a must.

User Placeable Banner. That would be an excellent option.
Are there any host that has this already?
Even if the banner must be placed in the top half of page would be ok for me i guess. At least it would be where you want it and not all bulky looking....

And don't be adding no new clusters and drive arrays to your new host server,causing all your users pages to stop working for months,when it was working just fine to begin with: in other words,Don't try fix the server if it ain't broke!

just a few things

To be honest, most of my web sites are relativly small, but what I would want in my ideal free webspace provider is:

1) Reliabilty - good up-time, and support (minimum a support forum)
2) A realistic amount of space: minimum 5-10Mb
3) FTP - it's simply easier for users
4) No Ads or user-placed adds, preferably with the option to edit them so that design-wise and topic wise they fit in with the sites content
5) Options between things like PHP/MySQL and a couple of other features so that only people requiring these options have them... possibly an option of an extra 5Mb or somthing for people that only want a very basic site

also the site would need to be truly free, no requirement for a domain etd - for me the main reason that I use free hosting is that I can't afford to pay for hosting, which means if there are any costs involved it makes the promise of free hosting invalid and puts a potentially good site out of my reach

Last edited:
Re: just a few things

Originally posted by nemain
also the site would need to be truly free, no requirement for a domain etd - for me the main reason that I use free hosting is that I can't afford to pay for hosting, which means if there are any costs involved it makes the promise of free hosting invalid and puts a potentially good site out of my reach
_________
Hey nemain,I understand the not paying for host. I heard that.
But if you need a domain name,you can easily get one @ http://www.tosdomains.net for like 8.88 a YEAR and you can pay with paypal!!! And there are NO additional charges except the 8.88. They also have every dns management thingy you would ever need!!! mx,name server,cname,frame redirect,email forwarding,etc etc. I'm using them now and they work great!
Here's one of my sites. www.microbob.net (That is if me BackUP web HOST is still working.)

Although I would NOT recommend transferring a domain name from the TOS domain site for you could end up paying a lot more a year than 8.88 if its with somebody else. UNless your transfering a domain name to a host that will host it free (Then its only like 7 bucks or so for a transfer. BUT if then if your site web host goes down a week or something...you got no site workn. But if your still a the tos site,you can easily point your www to another web host within a few secs.

Hosting for .80 cents a month! (For 15mb,300 bandwidth)
YOU select what amount of space and bandwidth you want and it adds up the total for you. They accept paypal as well. If I don't find a nice free host soon,I will most likely go with them. UNLESS someone LETS ME KNOW if their hosting server suxs or something. (.80cents is the least amount you can get.) actually i would be happy with 10mb -150-200 bandwidth. They also have name servers,so you can point your domain name to theirs without transferring. They have a free option but you gotta be accepted. I haven't tried that yet.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
That's important?! :eek:

Care to explain? :confused2
My ISP's webspace (which I currently use) doesn't allow to list folders without "index.html". I'm too lazy to create thumbnails for all my drawings, so being able to click on a link that directs to a folder that contains all my drawings would be nice.

Oh yeah:
I can't understand all the people that need 50MB... can't you guys use a filesharing program or FTP to distribute all your warez? =P

Originally posted by nicknapper
I can't understand all the people that need 50MB... can't you guys use a filesharing program or FTP to distribute all your warez? =P

Heres a few reasons i could think of:

They use a web host =
() They use the web host's bandwidth. not theirs on a ftp server.
() Slow dial up users can use apps like "GetRight" to resume a broken download. instead of seeing 97% then ca-BLanka! disconnected from downloading. (not the internet)

Why some are NOT using an FTP server =
() They could be worried about running an ftp server on their computer in fear of some exploit a hacker finds and ruins their whole computer.. hehe..
() It Uses their bandwidth instead of web host.
() FTP has no resume if you get disconnected from ftp,you gotta start all over. "that is if ever connect to it again,cause if its a warez ftp,you can bet money it will full "too many users."
Or at least my OLD ftp app doesn't have resume. ARE there any ftp apps that has resume for download'n? Let me know anyone...

Oh yeah.. I forgot..
Yeap, a FileSharing program would work great, for most of them have a resume button. BUt they prolly wouldn't want to do that either if they were trying to free some drive space up by uploading it to a web site. and etc.. etc.. blah blah blah hehe...

Last edited:
bobby444:

1. FTPs can resume, depends on if the owner has turned on this function.

2. My post was kind of ironic. Somebody here asks us for the features we would like to see for free webhosting and then all the warez-kiddies come along with their "Oh yes, plz 2 b doing 50MB for every1!!!1". This is unrealistic and might be the death for free webspace. So I'd like to see those warez-people "---- off" and leave free webspace alone for those who really need it.

If you start an unprofessional and non-commercial site, you probably won't even use 20MB. And if you want a commercial site for your business, you anyway go for paid hosting.

everyone has their own opinion on what they want to get for free, heck I wish I could get a ferrari for free.

Back