• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

40 users per semi-dedicated ok?

I think you are reading it wrong. I will break it down.

40 users max per server: THEY only put 40 clients on a machine they have called their "semi dedicated machine" you can put as many domains as you want on your account but they only put 40 max users on your machine instead of a couple hundred like normal shared hosting servers.

A semi dedicated account is generally a shared or reseller account that is housed on a server with a far less number of clients so they can use above average resources (cpu, ram). Think of it as the power of a VPS but without the hassle of managment of one.

AvailNetworks, thanks for clarifying this point, if a semi-dedicated allows to combine resources of the VPS and freedom from server management, why so few hosts offer it? Apart from webhostingbuzz.com mentioned by the OP, I could hardly tell off-hand any other company with semi-dedicated plans. Is there anything that makes it less profitable?
I guess, semi-dedicated are particularly good for large mission critical sites, but when VPS is definitely better?

VPS is good when you know what you need and you don't want other guys hogging all the resources..

Thanks for your replies, I'm still thinking, if the resources are not enough I will, probably, have to upgrade and the next step is VPS, which isn't provided by webhostingbuzz.com.

personally I would still choose semi dedicated over a vps. With a semi dedicated you will still be able to burst the entire cpu amount of the machine like a normal shared/reseller account instead of getting a 400mhz cap and then the occasional burst depending on the vps software used.

a vps is a nice way to get your feet wet into the world of dedicated servers and try things out but I could really never see it as a long term solution for a higher use situation

personally I would still choose semi dedicated over a vps. With a semi dedicated you will still be able to burst the entire cpu amount of the machine like a normal shared/reseller account instead of getting a 400mhz cap and then the occasional burst depending on the vps software used.

a vps is a nice way to get your feet wet into the world of dedicated servers and try things out but I could really never see it as a long term solution for a higher use situation

I agree. VPS should not be a long term solution.

VPS are more stable then a semi-dedicated. Remeber semi-dedicated still has the abuse policys of a reseller or shared service.

You should "get your feet wet" with a vps but as soon as it grows consider a dedicated server, even a cheaper one and continue to upgrade.

VPS are more stable then a semi-dedicated. Remeber semi-dedicated still has the abuse policys of a reseller or shared service.

You should "get your feet wet" with a vps but as soon as it grows consider a dedicated server, even a cheaper one and continue to upgrade.

Exactly, just imagine if each of the 40 customers on the semi-dedicated box sold 40 hosting plans to their own customers. 40x40 = 1600 sites hosted on that box and good chance it's going to be slow, slow, slow.

1600 "normal" sites on a server can be perfectly fine depending on the hardware. A celeron can handle thousands of accounts provided they are primary non database driven.

keep in mind also most semi dedicated users purchase said plans for 1 of 2 reasons. comfort in knowing they are on a stable and low used server. or for a single site.

Vps users have a F A R broader scope of uses and harder to control since each of them have their own security measures and can easily affect other vps accounts on the server

1600 "normal" sites on a server can be perfectly fine depending on the hardware. A celeron can handle thousands of accounts provided they are primary non database driven.

keep in mind also most semi dedicated users purchase said plans for 1 of 2 reasons. comfort in knowing they are on a stable and low used server. or for a single site.

Vps users have a F A R broader scope of uses and harder to control since each of them have their own security measures and can easily affect other vps accounts on the server

I agree that each type of plan (see: Shared hosting-> dedicated hosting) attract different type of customers, but in web 2.0 you can rest assured that a great deal of all of those people are going to be using a database of some sort. And this will lead to a sluggish server if you happen to be buddied with one of these popular sites on your server.

The reasons that are being discussed here is the primary reason that I usually just jump from shared to dedicated once a site has grown, simply because every single plan still has some sort of "shared" hosting drawback until you get your own box.

well what a lot of people don't realize is that most websites out there need no database at all, including a fair amount of business's. Outside of the "web hosting world" of forums and mp3 streamers and billing software and helpdesks...etc. most personal/business sites really aren't even a drop in the bucket, it is all the kids and their fancy things they want to play with, and even then that is not that big of a deal because the traffic is so low and they usually fizzle out.

most people just want a simple website, and even if it does contain a database like many of the business's I host it is generally not even a blip on the radar in terms of usage. This server hosts plenty of sites both business and non and have a look at the usage meter.

http://availnetworks.net/sysinfo/

There is also an application we are scheduled to roll out with at the end of the year for a specific industry and usage stats from the test environment show that on an opteron 170/2gb we will easily be able to host about 1200 sites per machine, ALL of them database driven with no slowdown since this will have to be a high availability environment due to the nature of what we are designing and the cost associated with it.

most people just want a simple website, and even if it does contain a database like many of the business's I host it is generally not even a blip on the radar in terms of usage. This server hosts plenty of sites both business and non and have a look at the usage meter.

http://availnetworks.net/sysinfo/

This is one reason why I usually buy hosting before I actually use it. I like to see what the server's average cpu usage is before I actually put my site up there live. A lot of times you'll get the kind of server that you linked to, where no one is eating up any resources.

But sometimes you end up being on a busy server and it probably won't be getting better anytime soon. Then you just cancel your account and sign up elsewhere (another reason why you should always go month-to-month).

This is one reason why I usually buy hosting before I actually use it. I like to see what the server's average cpu usage is before I actually put my site up there live. A lot of times you'll get the kind of server that you linked to, where no one is eating up any resources.
I think you should be able to view this stats before buying the hosting plan.
As for the semi-dedicated plan from webhostingbuzz.com, there's such stats in View Server Status on the offer page .

Last edited:
I think you should be able to view this stats before buying the hosting plan.
As for the semi-dedicated plan from webhostingbuzz.com, there's such stats in View Server Status on the offer page .
Hello. As far as I understand Webhostingbuzz.com allow you to show you server status during using their service. Not before. And I'd rather recomend you go with their dedicated servers. Because it seems that you will need to change semi for full dedi.

SEMI DEDICATED's are no different than a shared hosting account except for the fact that they are hosted on servers with a few other users and servers are not choked up..!

Back