• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

38h.com problems

I did recieve an email!!!

I posted a question to support because I still have one domain that 38h registered for me and I can't transfer it to Redfox, keeps coming back with "Not Available (37)". Anyone who knows how I can get around this please let me know. Redfox say they are looking into it with the registar.

Anyway I did email 38h re the above and they did get back to me about a week later but couldn't help.

Anyways I hope you all manage to get tansfered over.... eventually.

Regards

Dazzakiller

Hi All.

It was brought to my attention, yesterday, that 38h have totally disappeared from the face of the planet (or, at the very least, their DNS server has gone bye-bye's). None of theirs, or our websites and email are working.

I've still not received any files from 38h, either - and have now resigned myself to totally giving up.

And, anyone (including myself) who was planning a Small Claims Court action against 38h can probably forget that too - if 38h have gone into Receivership then we'd simply be pi**ing in the wind!

With regard to transferring domains registered via 38h to another host - you two key options...

(1) easy option... if the email address lodged with the domain name registrar is a working one, then you can go to another domain name registrar (I use UKReg) and use their "Transfer" function to "pull" the domain name from 38h to UKReg (it's an automated process, but usually takes a few days). You can then, via your (e.g.) UKReg control panel, set the nameservers to those required by your new host. If you need technical assistance then either post here or PM me.

(2) If the email address registered against your domain name was one hosted with 38h (or is another email address which is unavailable) then your only option is to contact the top level registrar - or the regulatory authority and ask them to change the nameservers to that of your new host, and to update your contact email address. Use a good WhoIs tool to find out the necessary Registrar contact details (I use http://resellers.tucows.com). Again, if you need technical assistance then get back to me.

Good luck y'all. Me thinks we can forget about 38h now!

Shout if you need assistance.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan, thanks so much for that, ill give it a go. The 38h phones stopped today... I really cant get over the cheek of them to not even let their customers know what's going on via their site etc. As you say, forget and move on...

You dont happen to know a bluetooth driver for NT on my old laptop. Got a driver to get the USB going (wey hey!) now to get that dongle working, downloaded an NT bluetooth usb adaptor driver, scared to install it, getting lucky twice in the same morning seems unlikely.

Regards,
Sean

Last edited:
R.i.p

They have 6 nameservers, still dns report returned: A timeout occurred getting the NS records from your nameservers! None of your nameservers responded fast enough.

being with 38h for years no, i really did not want to move, but at the end... I felt I had no option (I started to search for hosts months ago, just if I had to move)

Luckely I managed to move the sites, and my new host has a temp. url so I could check and fix problems before the sites went online on the new server. But I didnt want to make the DNS changes before this weekend (less trafic at the sites/mail then)
Unfortuanaly, I dont know my costumers passwords, so they have to re-enter them... also if they had mail (I told them to download it if they had beafore the move) on the servers, its probably lost now.

I had no response from Support, and has not recived the CD.
I just hope there was nothing I missed beafore it went down.

The new host is cheaper, HELM is fast, more features and support answers faster then I am able to respond them :classic2:
38h R.I.P (ONCE a great hosting company)

I have one domain that is/was controlled by 38h.

But 38h provided me with login details ...

http://manage.opensrs.net
domain: *********.com
username: ******** (domain without .com)
pass: ******

Obviously if you don't have the password it's going to be a problem, but as said above contact opensrs for .com or Nominet for .co.uk and they will be able to change the TAG or admin email for you.

I don't know what has happened to 38h apart from the message that was posted on their site. I do know that they were subject to many hackers as our servers also got hacked. But my company moved lock stock and barel at the start of the year .. and we left 3 of our own servers with them!

http://www.fish-media.net/newspress.asp?id=25

I suspect that the connection to their servers/rack has been disconnected thus taking all the servers offline.

It is really sad, as when we joined them they were doing really well and were great to work with.

Rich

its still one site I need to move :(
I do have a backup of this site, but I think its outdated.

This is one customer I didnt reach before 38h went down, and therby the last one I would move.

Still no CD as requested, and no response to any e-mails

Last edited:
I cannot even access there site, i think they have now tried to make there buisness untracable so there is naw no chance of getting a refund or even proving that they exsited and where they were based,

It's sad that a thread like this seems to come up so often. I guess it is a good reminder to make sure you always have current backups of your files, especially databases.

TJR Networks said:
It's sad that a thread like this seems to come up so often. I guess it is a good reminder to make sure you always have current backups of your files, especially databases.
I do have backup of all my sites, and do have of my clients.
But this client was in the progress of renewing hes site, and thats why I think my backup of the site is outdated.
Hopefully he will contact me, and did not work directly on hes site, but had a local copy of it.

I had a reseller panel from 38h and i was so lucky that i move to a new server.
I have a dedicated server now and it is very nice,I installed HELM and SmarterMail on my server and they work normal.
If anyone want to have a reseller panel with 1 GB and many features please email me at admin@dorhost.com

Ehsan Amini

I had a reseller panel from 38h and i was so lucky that i move to a new server.
I have a dedicated server now and it is very nice,I installed HELM and SmarterMail on my server and they work normal.
If anyone want to have a reseller panel with 1 GB and many features please email me at admin@dorhost.com

Ehsan Amini
Hi Ehsan.

Good for you! I nearly set up my own server, but thought better of it in the end because I would also have had the hassle of maintaining it (althought, at least it would be under my own control!).

Out of interest - what level of support (24x7?) and service level guarantees will you be offering to reseller accounts? Will support be a one-man offering (you), or will you be employing support staff to provide cover during your sickness, holidays and other absences?

I wish you the very best of luck in your venture. It's a shame that 38h went tits-up - but at least it does create business opportunities for others (like yourself)!

Best regards,
Alan

Well unlike others' here, I'm not a reseller but have also been picking up the pieces up the pieces from 38h. Lost a month on 1 accessdb which I used to back up via ftp and spent the last month of 38h's existance trying to get my ftp service back but that was the only loss.

I had the domain name problem with email addresses set to 38h one. Contacted tucows/opensrs who require a government photoid to make this change - good job the domains are in my mother's name, not mine as I have nothing like a driving licence with picture, passport, etc. Hopefully that will be resolved soon.

Started one of our sites under a different domain name with RedFox. Excellent set up, superb CP, fast pages, etc. BUT.

I've been down twice with ODBC errors and ASP script time outs. These were issues I had with 38h from time to time (and I notice Red Fox had before I joined, looking through thier forum) but overall were resolved, eg. towards the end at 38h, we were running for months on end without ever needing to contact support for this problem (which may is 38h support was right be someone else with a script forgetting to movenext, etc. knocking others out.)

Whatever, I've been down twice in a little over a week, this time for 2 hrs with no reply as yet to my re-opened support ticket. They do look promising but at the moment I'm feeling like I'm revisiting 38h a couple of years back and reliving a past nightmare before they managed to resolve whatever the problem was. Hopefully, as with 38h (when they were excellent), matters will resolve and I find I have made a good choice though.

Back