• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

25 lines..yet again....this is 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or why not read what is requested and answer that? Joe Blow wants a cheap cpanel host with 50GB space and 200GB bandwidth. His budget is <$3 a month.

All you need to post is what you can offer in that area. He wants cpanel, so no doubt he has used it it before so doesn't need a long list of all that cpanel offers with the software.

How hard is that? Most times you all copy and paste from your website or previous offer in the offers forum. If you took the time to answer each request individually, there wouldn't be a problem. It aint rocket science :p

Hehe, you think that would work :D
The copy/paste rule I would guess is the one most broken!

I was about to say. 25lines For shared and reseller is more then enough. (even though I admit I broke this rule once by accident)

I'm all up for the counter. And a donation button for Jan!

I type every one of mine out with reference to the last one I typed so each one differs slightly. If I ever get infracted for that rule, I'll post a thread :p

If the rule says 25, aim for 15 or less.

All you really need is a link. Why so much effort for a thread which will be viewed 60 times or so, mostly by mods and other hosts checking you out? :D And then to make a thread about it, come on - I'm sure you have better things to do.

Gotta admit, I was there for you until Jan posted the SS of the actual post.

I'm on 1024x768 for the same reason Jan is, so I feel for her.

The 25 line rule is an extremely good one, I'm so tired of seeing people list out all their plans in detail, or giving me a biography of their company. People don't need to read for 20 minutes, they want an offer. I always wrote out mine manually, and it was obvious because there was at least one mistake in each one that I'd have to go back and edit :D

And... there might not be a mod after you, there might be a user reporting all your posts or something. I think Jan is secretly after everyone though.

we should look into either not having a limit, or, getting a fixed width on the site for a 1024 layout. might keep problems like this from occurring. just an idea though.

we should look into either not having a limit, or, getting a fixed width on the site for a 1024 layout. might keep problems like this from occurring. just an idea though.

A fixed width is a much better solution. Removing the post length would end us up with really long posts. As David had said, you shouldn’t be copy/pasting anything anyways. You should be able to post the basics free hand. Disk Space, Bandwidth, Ram, Extra Features, Cost, Setup Cost, Order Link, and possibly a short description of your Money-Back/Uptime Guarantee (very minimal though, with a link to the full version). What people must realize, is that the longer the offer, the less likely a person is to go with that company, as they don’t want an essay when asking a simple question, they just want the answer in its most simplest form.

What people must realize, is that the longer the offer, the less likely a person is to go with that company, as they don’t want an essay when asking a simple question, they just want the answer in its most simplest form.
Right! Imagine a newbie asking for a host and confronted with a looong post about all the cpanel crud. He/she just wants a host. Why should it take more than 25 lines to post price, space, bandwidth, MySQL and PHP versions and whatever else was requested? From memory when we discussed this, 20 lines was going to get the nod, but we went for the 25 to give a bit of leeway. Have a look at the request, do you ever see 25 lines of requirements?

People write different and have different messages to say. Not the point or place of a forum for it to tell users how to make their offers is it?

I do my best to not go over 25 lines but honestly, I actually just need 26 or 27 to make my offers complete and for me to say what I feel needs to be said. I'm a thorough person in life and when I do business, so that's how I am here.

But I understand and respect the rule. 25 lines, got it, but really not needed for people to jump on the band wagon and tell other people how to make their offers. To me and I believe some will agree that a good reply will require more than just the basics? I perfer to let the users know what the condition my business is at right now so that they can understand why we do what we do.

Anyways, points taken and I've been made to look foolish with my widescreen monitor.

Last edited:
But I understand and respect the rule. 25 lines, got it, but really not needed for people to jump on the band wagon and tell other people how to make their offers. To me and I believe some will agree that a good reply will require more than just the basics? I perfer to let the users know what the condition my business is at right now so that they can understand why we do what we do.

I understand, but replying to requests isn't necessarily the place to try and sell out. You want to make it appear flashy enough so they will investigate your company. Regardless, you shouldn't have to survive based on replying to requests. FWS is a bit of a dog-eat-dog world when it comes to request threads, and its rather hard to get clients. If they would be a valuable client, then they would investigate you further. If they aren't flashy enough for you, then there will be another customer.

With the "this" on that line, I still get 25. I double checked too.

It is probably a resolution issue.

-------------

side note: 50th post

25 lines, got it, but really not needed for people to jump on the band wagon and tell other people how to make their offers.

Speaking as a non host and potential client I can tell you that I don't need all the crud. If you reply to what I requested, you can tell me more if and when I contact your sales department.

Speaking as a non host and potential client I can tell you that I don't need all the crud. If you reply to what I requested, you can tell me more if and when I contact your sales department.

Okay sure, but at the same time wouldn't it be help to know why the plan that I offered is not listed on our website and why you can't find the auto checkout link for it?

Anyways, that's just a difference of opinion. Hopefully something gets done about the 25 line rule in terms or resolution or fixed width that's all I was trying to do with this thread.

Okay sure, but at the same time wouldn't it be help to know why the plan that I offered is not listed on our website and why you can't find the auto checkout link for it?

"This is a custom plan, and isn't listed on our website because it's tailored to fit your needs" and "our billing system is under construction, so please contact me personally" would work just fine.

You listed ALL of your plans though, and went on to talk about how long you've been in business, your average uptime, and discussed how many negative reviews you've had and how you're good at solving them in private. And you spent 3 lines talking about how your billing system is being revamped.

I understand that you're a thorough person, and I'm sure your customers appreciate that greatly, but when someone specifically requests a certain amount of space, or gives a certain budget, they're expecting you to show them a plan that suits their needs.... they don't need all of them. It's supposed to be their responsibility to research your plans, your uptime, your reputation on their own if they're interested.

In such a competitive atmosphere, I can understand how you want to shine above the rest, and make it easier for the customer to see the reasons they should choose you, but you have to understand why it creates tension. While theres a chance the OP wants to read all of that, it's a pretty severe annoyance to anyone else who is trying to follow the rules by not copying and pasting, and someone who has to scroll for 20 miles down the page because companies insist on giving you their life story.

Long posts, similar to this one I'm writing are an annoyance to a lot of people :)

"This is a custom plan, and isn't listed on our website because it's tailored to fit your needs" and "our billing system is under construction, so please contact me personally" would work just fine.

You listed ALL of your plans though, and went on to talk about how long you've been in business, your average uptime, and discussed how many negative reviews you've had and how you're good at solving them in private. And you spent 3 lines talking about how your billing system is being revamped.

I understand that you're a thorough person, and I'm sure your customers appreciate that greatly, but when someone specifically requests a certain amount of space, or gives a certain budget, they're expecting you to show them a plan that suits their needs.... they don't need all of them. It's supposed to be their responsibility to research your plans, your uptime, your reputation on their own if they're interested.

In such a competitive atmosphere, I can understand how you want to shine above the rest, and make it easier for the customer to see the reasons they should choose you, but you have to understand why it creates tension. While theres a chance the OP wants to read all of that, it's a pretty severe annoyance to anyone else who is trying to follow the rules by not copying and pasting, and someone who has to scroll for 20 miles down the page because companies insist on giving you their life story.

Long posts, similar to this one I'm writing are an annoyance to a lot of people :)

The original request did not provide enough information for such a detailed response to be given.

Anyways, I don't think this is getting anywhere. Like I said, its a matter of personal perference and I don't really have the time to try and convince others how to run their business and I really couldn't care less.

Right! Imagine a newbie asking for a host and confronted with a looong post about all the cpanel crud. He/she just wants a host. Why should it take more than 25 lines to post price, space, bandwidth, MySQL and PHP versions and whatever else was requested? From memory when we discussed this, 20 lines was going to get the nod, but we went for the 25 to give a bit of leeway. Have a look at the request, do you ever see 25 lines of requirements?

Im facing another issue,
What if I want to know everything? I limited my thread knowing that hosts cant post over 25 lines, so I have to ask more questions later because they are to scared of getting infractions...

People like me, just want everything listed when shopping to save time and save hosts time reposting/checking the thread.....
IE
1:Datacenter
2:company
3:Amount of IPs/cost of extra ips
4:allow adult and IRC
5:Server specs
6:Server specs
7:Server specs
8:Server specs
9:Server specs
10:Server specs
11:How long company been going for
12:Own your hardware or resell
13:Uptime//review links
14:Cost for upgrades
15:Foot note
16:Foot note
17:footnote

As you see Iv hit 17 already, just off the top of my head.. without a space included...

The rule needs changing to better suite people that want all the info, so you can say
25 line rule ignored in this thread or something... so hosts dont have to worry....

No I dont really want to read 100s of tos's just to find out few things, I want to know without searching, then pick a select few to do a more detailed search with...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back