• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

2 Hard Drives

Cagez

I just put in another HD in my computer, it was from my old computer...

My friend says that I might have problems becasue the two hd's are different, and my computer will be slower --is this true?

Just make sure you don't do something stupid like put your primary HD on the slave instead of the master.

I have both my HDs as master and the CD-ROM drive as slave on the cable with my secondary HD.

Originally posted by Coolin

I have both my HDs as master and the CD-ROM drive as slave on the cable with my secondary HD.
Not the best setup. It's always best to have both hard drives on the same IDE channel.

When I first put it in, I thought I had it on slave but then it said the boot loader wasn't found --turns out I had to remove the jumper pin thingie all together for it to be slave. Now what happensif I want to put it back to master? I've lost the pin already :D

The IDE cable is tht big thick wire right? Its thin, but wide? On my computer there is 3, one is for the diskette drive and then there are two more, they look the same but I looked on the wires and one of them said 150V and the other 300V (I think). Are they both the same?

Originally posted by Bruce
Not the best setup. It's always best to have both hard drives on the same IDE channel.
Why so?

I don't use my CD-ROM drive much, so I felt that it would be best if both of my drives had their own cable.

hi, don't worry.

I am currently having 3 HD in my 3.06GHz system and they work just fine.

They are:

120 Gig SATA HD (new harddrive)
8.4 Gig 5400rpm (old computer HD)
4.3 gig 5400rpm (old computer HD)

so things should work just fine.

The IDE cable has gray covered wires that has black or blue (usually) connectors. The short connecter, it should be about 1/2 inchs wide about, is for the floppy drive. The two big ones, about 1 inch wide are for hard drives or/and cd drives and other hardware, like tape drives or zip drives.

As far as putting it back to it being a master it most probabaly lock up if you got two master hard drives.

Hope this helps you some Cagez

Back