• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

16x n 32x

xternal

i have a problem

whenever i use a 16x cd-r to burn something i could burn it up to 40x but when i use a 32x cd-r i could only burn it up to 12x

16x = hi-tech cd-rom
32x = memorex

Here's your answer:

Not all CD brands work well with all burners. Memorex blows on my Sony CD-RW drive.

Smart Buy rules.

Maybe your drive is good at not causing buffer underruns? :confused2

Cyberdrive has buffer under-run protection unlike many drives. I have burned whole CDs at 32X without having a buffer-run problem and when the avaliable buffer left starts to fall it increases back up again. I love Cyberdrive. :D

This brings back memories... of when I could actually burn CDs... first at 8x then 4x... and finally down to 1x. Now this pc can't even burn a cd at 1x any longer. :(

Memorex CD-Rs always worked great for me, but then again, I suppose anything would at those speeds.

Originally posted by Giancarlo
What happen Bruce? The CD burner go kaput? :confused: :(
Nope. My Creative 8x4x32 still works great, but my system is just too under-powered to even burn at 1x any longer.

Originally posted by Bruce
Nope. My Creative 8x4x32 still works great, but my system is just too under-powered to even burn at 1x any longer.

Oh I see...

Yeah sometimes you need to have a machine with horsepower to burn at high speeds... my machine (XP 1600+ with 768MB DDR) does fine with burning 32X... just imagine at slower machines...

I wanted to replace my 4x burner with a 32x. Had it in the cart, ready to input the cc #'s and the wife convinced me not to get it. Grrrrrr...

I went from having:
32x Burner
Keyboard
Mouse (free with purchase of keyboard and rebate)
Bag (free with coupon)
5" b/w tv (also just free with coupon)
Total would have been $90 (after another rebate for the burner)

..... to not getting anything :(

Originally posted by Daniel
I got TDK 80min, 700mb CD-R. They work great with my Creative burner(16x8x32)
My favourite blank's are Kodak CR Ultima 80Min, i find they are the most reliable CD's i have used (right up with them are TDK's).

Each year Bestbuy has what is called a Blow out special

Anything under 10 bucks is 1.40, anything under $20 is 10 bucks and so on.

I managed to get a 32X Burner for $27 dollars (the guy messed up). I ran to the front, bought it and ran out.

Well, the fact that it was a good deal didn't matter. I don't burn CD's all that often and she convined me to save the $$$ for a DVD-Burner (another thing I wouldn't mind checking out). SO it takes 20 minutes to burn the CD instread of 3. I suppose it doesn't matter *that* much... *sniff*...

I just like new toys, faster or smaller, etc. When will the wives learn it isn't about *need* it is like shoes and dresses... *want want want* !!!

Chicken,
When a DVD-R says 2x that is at DVD speed that is actually more like 24x for a regular CD so DVD-Rws burn just as fast as regular. Remember 1x speed for a DVD is several times more data than on a CD.

And for anyone that has anything between 32x-40x burners tell me how many times you have burnt at least 500mb without underrun at full speed, and if so what is your system like? Just interested cause I haven't successfully burn't at 24x on pretty nice systems

Yeah, I know that (some) DVD burners can burn regular CDs (faster than mine). Heck there isn't really much out there now that can't burn faster than this HP 8200 series 4x burner (was external -about $300+ when I got it, I removed the externalness)..

Originally posted by Chicken
Yeah, I know that (some) DVD burners can burn regular CDs (faster than mine). Heck there isn't really much out there now that can't burn faster than this HP 8200 series 4x burner (was external -about $300+ when I got it, I removed the externalness)..
Was it SCSI external? Or USB?

USB, which actually worked fine, but it fell backwards and the cord was pushed in, severing some of the jack connections. So I had to extract it from the case (which was fun as no one was sure it would work...)

I'm still sad that I didn't get new toys... :(

Back