• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

100% Uptime? Bull ----!!!

NetCafe

b&
b&
Just wondering,

Dont host ever do maintenance or reboot their servers to prevent memory hog?

For us, we reboot our servers every 7 days.

Others?

If you manage your servers well you can prevent a memory hog :wink2:

We reboot maybe every 1-2 months.

I never reboot my VPS because i have to restart 3 different servers each time, and i am not lazy, i just do not want the hassle of using ssh all the time.

As for that, my ISP reboots me every so often without telling me, so they go down anyway, and i keep getting client e-mails.

When a host says they offer 100% uptime, what they mean is that besides maintenance, prevenative measures, or reboots, their servers are always up. In order for them to provide excellent uptime they have to maintain their servers so they are in good shape.

The little time it takes to reboot a server isn't considered into the 100% uptime, changes are a few of their customers would even see. A smart host would do maintenance/reboots early hours (ie: 2:15AM)

Well we dont at the moment but people barely notice a 2 minute downtime (Fast equiptment hehe) So if we do its not a prob.

Our free host on the other hand. We have to do it like 3 times a week just to keep it going good. But no one notices.

Please tell me more about memory hog.
How does it happen?
What are the signs?
What servers are most sensitive? IE servers with how many site,what kind of sites ect.

Thanks

Don't be serious about the 100% uptime, they just want to tell others they have a stable server.

I used to reboot every two months or unless there was an issue that required it. One of our servers one time had some bad memory, so naturally we had to reboot.

Robert said:
When a host says they offer 100% uptime, what they mean is that besides maintenance, prevenative measures, or reboots, their servers are always up. In order for them to provide excellent uptime they have to maintain their servers so they are in good shape.

The little time it takes to reboot a server isn't considered into the 100% uptime, changes are a few of their customers would even see. A smart host would do maintenance/reboots early hours (ie: 2:15AM)
Aggred

Some scientists/philosophers think that nothing can be 100%, nor perfect, etc. So maybe yu're on to something ;)

Regards,

Custoemr Sites where we install Servers, at the Customer Location so they're own WebDesigners can update their websites, usually request dual boxes with redundancy, as well as dual ISP Connections and the like. We get 100% of "Website Uptime" out of it. (Even Though VRRP has a 3 second Heartbeat). But for public webhosting... c'mon 100%?

You have too many idiot captains sinking the ship.

Redundency is possible. Google has it.
Redundancy doesn't guarantee 100% uptime though.

A 100% uptime guarantee, much like a 100% network uptime guarantee simply means that the host is willing to offer some type of compensation if the uptime is under that level. I guess it can be an effective marketing tool if the right market is targetted (even thought the guarantee's real value is minimal).

Back