• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Recent content by brownpau

1. B

Pls recommend host/package allowing >3 domains

Isn't there a way to do that with your .htaccess? I'm about to do something similar with my site on Affordablehost.
  2. B

Geocities design note...

Ack! I think you're right. :D Popups? Naw, not me. I prefer inline banners at worst; popups are too distracting. Actually, I think the Geocities ad square is an excellent concept -- or was, anyway, before it got that BIG -- since it's intrusive enough to provide advertising space, but...
  3. B

Geocities design note...

Those of you who use Geocities, I strongly suggest designing or redesigning your pages with a left-heavy theme, with no content on the right. Their "ad square" has gotten much larger, taking up the entire vertical length of the browser window's righthand side at lower screen resolutions, so it...
  4. B

Have domain - need host

Xoasis has given me some problems in the past, especially with CGI, and their support was nonexistent at the time. Also, your password appears in the cpanel URL. Not safe. Otherwise, they seem to work okay. I've been using Portland, and their service is spastic. When it's working, it's barely...
  5. B

Portland... What the hell?

Past their usual recovery time, still nothing up at my site. FTP error: Host not found. Even the home page and member portal are down. Oh, well, the price you pay for ad-free domain hosting.
  6. B

Portland... What the hell?

My Portland site seems to have disappeared too, and every single other Portland site. Looks to me like they're offline. Just wait till about Monday 10 am GMT: when they have weekend server outages, that's when they come back.
  7. B

It's my birthday sorta

Haaaapy birthday, Tom, and God bless you! Why was it shitty?
  8. B

How is Xoasis these days?

Good news: Portland's back up to speed, and since I'm in a different time zone, I'm usually on their FTP at off-peak hours. :D Occasional downtimes haven't been a serious problem. Yet. So I'm happy for the time being, while I wait for my nameserver info to propagate.
  9. B

Thanks, Tom. I'm looking over VR9 now. Back in Xoasis-Land, I tried uploading a transitional index page via FTP, and it still hasn't shown up on my site. Annoying. Before that, I went for a brief stay at Portland, but I had to email them twice just to get my welcome email, and then their...
  10. B

Digitalrice just disabled SSI and PHP, so I finally decided to leave and transfer to Portland. But then it turns out that Portland is going through a major downhill slide -- as bad as DR's, in fact, so I can't even FTP my site to their servers. I need SSI, CGI, and free domain hosting...
  11. B

Thoughts on Freeservers.com?

Here's why I'm pissed at Freeservers.
  12. B

Does anybody use datapacket.net?

Now, why the heck is a high-profile web service like Yahoo using royalty-free graphics for their layouts?! I can understand int he case of DataPackets, but Yahoo? Sorry, I'm going off-topic. :D
  13. B

Well, to be fair, maybe it's one of those freeware graphics.
  14. B

This bothers me: they're using the same welcome graphic as Yahoo Mail. http://www.datapacket.net/images/wgrl.jpg http://mail.yahoo.com -- Compare for yourself...
  15. B

Important Digitalrice

crap. What does "going into receivership" mean anyway? Darn it, darn it. They used to be one of the best. It'll be painful to see them go. Especially since my page is hosted with them. If they do fold soon, this is going to be close. My CC is still in the approval qeue.
Back