• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Saddam Hussein sentenced to hang

Blank Verse

NLC
NLC
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/11/05/saddam-verdict.html

Defiant Saddam sentenced to hang
Last Updated: Sunday, November 5, 2006 | 9:16 AM ET
CBC News
Former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein was found guilty of crimes against humanity on Sunday and sentenced to hang for the 1982 killing of 148 Shia Muslims in a town north of Baghdad.

Saddam shouted "God is Great" and "You are servants of the occupiers — you are traitors," before Judge Raouf Abdel Rahman of Iraq's High Tribunal finished reading the verdict and sentence.

"Life for us and death to our enemies, death to the enemies of the people. Long live this glorious nation and death to the enemies," Saddam said as four guards took him out of the courtroom.

His chief lawyer later issued a statement, saying Saddam wanted Iraqis to reject the sectarian violence that could increase in the wake of the verdict.

"The president said that 'Saddam Hussein won't be defeated,'" lawyer Khalil al-Dulaimi told the Associated Press. "He said the people will remain strong and steadfast."

The court had heard that Saddam ordered the 148 executions in revenge for an assassination attempt in Dujail, 65 kilometres north of Baghdad. Saddam is a Sunni Muslim and his government was dominated by the country's Sunni minority.

Two of Saddam's senior aides, including his half-brother Barzan al-Tikriti (also known as Barzan Ibrahim) and Awad Hamad al-Bandar al-Saadun, the head of Iraq's former Revolutionary Court, were also sentenced to hang.

A former Iraqi vice president, Taha Yassin Ramadan, was convicted of premeditated murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Three defendants were sentenced to 15 years in prison for torture and premeditated murder. Abdullah Khadem Ruweid, his son Mezhar Abdullah Ruweid and Ali Daeh Ali were party officials in Dujail. They were believed responsible for the Dujail arrests.

Another co-defendant, Baath party official, Mohammed Assam Al-Ali, was acquitted.

Some feared the verdicts could intensify sectarian violence after a trial that stretched over nine months. Clashes immediately broke out Sunday in northern Baghdad's heavily Sunni Azamiyah district.

"This government will be responsible for the consequences, with the deaths of hundreds, thousands or even hundreds of thousands, whose blood will be shed," Salih al-Mutlaq, a Sunni political leader, told the al-Arabiya satellite television station.

In Saddam's hometown of Tikrit, about 1,000 people defied a curfew that began on Saturday and carried pictures of the former leader through the streets.

Elsewhere in the capital, celebratory gunfire rang out.

Many Iraqis cheered the verdict in the predominantly Shia district of east Baghdad, known as Sadr City. During his 24 years as president, Saddam favoured his Sunni minority for top government jobs and persecuted the Shia majority and the Kurds.

Saddam's chief lawyer condemned Saddam's trial as a "farce," claiming the verdict was planned before it was handed down by the panel of judges, who were appointed by the former Iraqi Governing Council with U.S., British and Australian support. He said the defence team would appeal within 30 days.

The death sentences automatically go to a nine-judge appeal panel, which has unlimited time to review the case. If the verdicts and sentences are upheld, the executions must be carried out within 30 days.

"Since Day One, we said the trial was politically motivated 100 per cent and that it's completely illegal," said defence lawyer Khalil al-Dulaimi. "The defence voice was not allowed to be heard at all."

Al-Dulaimi also said that the security situation in Baghdad was "very dangerous."

"Iranian intelligence and U.S. invaders are patrolling around. There's nobody else on the streets," he said. "Baghdad looks like a ghost town."

Saddam's government was toppled in April 2003 during a campaign led by U.S. forces, on the assertion that Iraq possessed hidden stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction. No evidence was found to support that claim.

After an intense manhunt, Saddam was captured by American soldiers in December 2003 at a farmhouse in the town of Adwar, not far from his hometown of Tikrit.

It wasn't immediately clear what effect the verdict would have on a second trial for Saddam, which started in late August and in which he and six others face charges of genocide and war crimes against Kurds opened in connection with a poison gas attack on the Kurdish village of Halabja in 1988.

Really, no matter where on the spectrum your opinions on this whole matter lie, I think it's safe to say that this news means that the troops in Iraq are in for a longer term. It's hard to say if this was the right decision...or if this was the right decision, but the wrong time to play it out. There is bound to be some serious uprising by insurgencies supporting Saddam..and we all know they're still out there.

They wont hang him, it will go to an appeal & the US want to keep him alive, you mark my words, he wont be hanged!.

^^ I disagree, I think they will, maybe not soon, but either the USA or his homeland will kill him, they have to, it's the most powerfull message they can send.

nice idea, but he'd be dead inside 5 minutes in any prison in the world....he definately deserves to die.

He deserves to die, he ended so many other people's lifes, he needs to accept the consequence, it's fair.

If they kill him, the events portrayed in South Park would become a reality. (Satan falls in love with Saddam)

On a serious note, the death sentence should have been abolished centuries ago, no one has the right to take another life.

I think it is interesting that it is death by HANGING. I thought that was a little out-dated sounding...

I wonder if it has anything to do with who is charging him...is it technically Iraq? Is hanging a policy of them?

Under the circumstances, being hung is weak.

Maybe I'm just a sucker cruel and unusual punishment, but...

Upside down crucification for the win.

Back