• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

zeal.com -> -> free looksmart listing?

Lady_J

hi y'all - nice forum ya got here, I had no idea there was so much free stuff out there. it's a wonder anyone makes money these days =)

anyways, I recently heard something about zeal as the free way into the Big LS, and I was wondering if anyone here had tried this and basically if it's the real deal or one of those "wait six months and maybe we'll get back to you but probably not" deals. (I don't like those deals.) and any other pros/cons, etc. etc.

thanks much... :biggrin2:

Looksmart added my site yesterday, waiting for MSN now...

offtopic: it seems that Inktomi took more than 48hrs to update, but it stated that they refreshed every 48hrs...

Looksmart's updates are weekly, msn updates once per month I think. Mine rank hasn't changed from 38 last month when I got in.

Basically, Zeal is similar to DMOZ, but is is owned by Looksmart so it feeds Looksmart and through looksmart MSN amongst others. Yep, it is great if you can get into looksmart through zeal.

I am a Zeal contributer myself. I mainly contribute to the PHP category. However, if you want to email me with the details, I may contribute your site. It still has to be classified and selected by an editor. I also make no promise that I will submit any site either - because there is a point system and I get demerited for submitting crap or submitting to inapropriate categories.

But the good thing about Zeal is that it is well edited, updated regularly and submissions are evaluated in a timely manner, unlike some categories of DMOZ. For example, I applied to be a DMOZ editor months ago (and I belive my professional and netizen creditential are worthy) and still have received no response. Additionally, the directory is a mess when it comes to redirection services - it is unecessarily split up accross different catogories and site descriptions are often trite and meaningless.

:)

Back