• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

XenServer Based vps Hosting

The Crasher

hey all
i was wondering a little bit over this Question

if i see hosts that are openvz based , there prices are mostly of the time verry cheap

but if i see XenBased , then they are 10X that expensive

i know from my own hosting that Xenbased allocate the space and memory
but still is it posseble for me to offer the same price and openvz with out a single problem

so i was wondering why every1 els offers a low vps for a high price just because it is XenBased ??

is it because the ram they have is only 2GB and want to have 3 - 4 X the price of the server out of it ?
or is it because all the hard work they need to spend ?? or is just the server they got for it that expensive ??

it is just something i never understand why it need to be so expensive just because it is XenServer based

Thank you For Reading
Greets From The Crasher

With Xen you're unable to oversell at all. This is why the cost of OpenVZ VPS's are very low. Not everyone uses all the resources they're allocated which means that you can get away with overselling a little to keep the costs down. With Xen, although there is a way to oversell, it's not very easy.

[JSH]John;1074233 said:
With Xen you're unable to oversell at all. This is why the cost of OpenVZ VPS's are very low. Not everyone uses all the resources they're allocated which means that you can get away with overselling a little to keep the costs down. With Xen, although there is a way to oversell, it's not very easy.
There is simply no way to oversell RAM and HDD. End of story. You can simply make the CPU a shared resource.

Depends from Company to Company. Most cheap Xen providers run Xen on PV (paravirtualization) mode. This gives more performance compared to HVM. The issue is that, on PV mode your not making it look entirely like a dedicated server - the kernel is modified; hence you can control the network connections, root password, etc from outside the VPS.

On HVM mode, you can install any operating system from an ISO image (Windows, Linux, BSD, Unix, Solaris, etc) and it would work exactly like a dedicated server. Here, you will need to set the root password and network settings while installing the OS from the CD image. If you lose your root password, you'll need to reboot the VPS server into single user mode (mod grub kernel line) and then set the root password.

So depending on the mode the host is providing you with, costs may vary. HVM generally costs a lot more than PV.

Oh also, HVM requires Intel-VT or AMD-V to be enabled in BIOS. PV doesn't have this requirement.

Back