• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

will my isp know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FifthDistrict

In the TOS with my ISP, it says I can't host a website from my computer using their service. (Theoretically), If I decided run Apache server and host myself, will they have any way of detecting it?

Originally posted by FifthDistrict
but wouldnt they notice that the other port is wide open?
Not likely. Most ISPs are far too busy to monitor every single port. They'll generally just monitor the common ports such as 80 (HTTP), 21 (FTP), and sometimes 23 or 25 (for Telnet and SMTP, respectively).

If you're still worried about it, just run it on port 1214 (port used by Kazaa, and possibly some other P2P applications).

Heres an idea...use the space your ISP provides for you. I bet most give you some space (5-10 MB). That is plenty for a personal site. But...of course, there will be no extra features (scripting).

Originally posted by FifthDistrict
In the TOS with my ISP, it says I can't host a website from my computer using their service.
Then don't :angry2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back