• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

We are looking for a sponsor to host our site

DanielJarrett

I am a member of a team of people running a website: http://www.users.f2s.com/. This website, as you can see, provides help to users of Freedom2Surf on setting up scripts and other website-related help. We would like to expand to a more general help site for webmasters. This website is hosted on Freedom2Surf right now, but on February 28th, they are stopping their free hosting service. We are left stranded, looking for a host. This site receives about 700-1000 unique visitors per day. We are looking for a sponsor to host our site in exchange for a link and/or banner on each page of the site. We would also recommend your hosting services to Freedom2Surf users, who are looking for a good value host. The configuration we are looking for is:

75mb space (this includes mySQL db space)
Perl 5, PHP 4, mySQL
7gb transfer minimum/month
htaccess support
1 POP email account at least
At least 10 email redirects
At least 1 mailing list
Web stats
FTP access
A few subdomains would be good
Servers should be fast and have little downtime

If you are willing to sponsor us, we would like to know how much we would have to pay if we were to go over the bandwidth limit.

Daniel Jarrett
Member of the users.f2s Team

HI, DanielJarrett !

I hope you get your sponsor. I am on a sinking ship of F2S, too.. but haved moved out... I use your forum a lot of time.. but never post the message..

Happy New Year!

Your entire site focuses on Freedom2Surf and how their servers are configured. Since they will be ending all free web hosting on Feb. 28, 2002, why do you want to keep your site alive? It will have no importance anymore.

I know you said you want to expand and make it more general.. but how would you know you need so much bandwidth and resources?

Uh..someone from users (Justin I think) said f2s had offered to keep both the users site and your peronal sites up. Did they back on that?
We would also recommend your hosting services to Freedom2Surf users
:rolleyes: Gee, good to know how much your advice will be worth.

Originally posted by robert
Your entire site focuses on Freedom2Surf and how their servers are configured.

Sorry to contradict you, but we have many tutorials where all that would be needed is to change the path to the document root. Anyway, we aren't going to take all the content from users.f2s and put it on the new site, we will write some new tutorials.

Since they will be ending all free web hosting on Feb. 28, 2002, why do you want to keep your site alive? It will have no importance anymore.

The team behind users.f2s has decided that it didn't want to throw away all the work put into users.f2s, as a lot of the content is worth keeping (and the community of users). Also, many of our users have asked if our site would continue to exist after February, proving that it will be missed if it does not continue to exist.

I know you said you want to expand and make it more general.. but how would you know you need so much bandwidth and resources?

Actually, this amound of bandwidth and space was suggested by a member of our team, and most of us said it was a little too much, but we would like to have room for expansion. If someone will host us with 7gb of transfer, they will surely do it with 5 (but maybe not the other way round)!

Originally posted by meow
Uh..someone from users (Justin I think) said f2s had offered to keep both the users site and your peronal sites up. Did they back on that?

So you're a visitor to our forums!! Chris, the manager of F2S wrote "Totally up to you guys! You guys have been brilliant and helped a heck of a lot of people. So whatever you want just let us know", but he has told us he won't keep our site! I personally thought that what he wrote meant we could keep our account for free!

:rolleyes: Gee, good to know how much your advice will be worth.

The banner/link would be the main incentive to host us.

Sorry about that. That really sucks. I mean you kinda worked free for him after all. :confused2

No, I haven't used your site much even if I've ben there a couple of times. Whoever it was posted it here at fws. Good luck in finding something. :)

Thanks meow, but, surprisingly, we've had many replies, so now I'm having to sift through them and select the best one!

I'm really pissed off at Chris now. Don't you think what he wrote in his first email sounded like he would host us for free? Now he says that it would be unfair to the other users (apparently many have emailed him asking for their site to stay for free, not surprising! I do think he owes us that, but he obviously doesn't).

Great - then you just have to choose :D

Yeah, I think it sounds like he offers free space. What else? I mean anyone can buy space at f2s...

In the mail you quoted. Why would Chris offer you paid hosting as a reward? Anyone can get that. Sounds like he changed his mind to me. He must have meant free hosting. :confused2

I also think he changed his mind.

Maybe someone complained that it wasn't fair (all visitors to our forums knew that we were getting free hosting)? Or maybe he decided on his own that it wasn't fair? Myself, I think it's perfectly fair, as we've given more to f2s than most people have.

F2S's user support really sucks.. without users.f2s they wouldn't come this far... what I feel now is that he was using your users.f2s as a good cruiser-class ship..and now you are finished.. by getting paid, he might start his new better support service. and if it is good it is ok.. but if it is bad.. F2s will become like many web hosts around...

I agree with you that, you have a good site.. but if it has to die.. let it die.. give away the contents you write to somebody else to publish on somewhere.. be happy with what you have done..

You, guys deserve some rest.. :)

It is very nice to hear that Daniell.. Hope you find a good host..

however.. it still doesn't matter.. you can help people with or without usersf2s.. many dummies are around many forums worldwide... find one and stick to it :) Just like here haha..

Good luck, you have some interesting stuff on your site. Is is copyrighted? Can I place some of it on my site (with proper copyright notices)?

Back