• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

trademark, patent, copyright

KapTinKiRk

What is the difference between these three things? I have a faint idea, but just want to know what you would patent, what you would trademark etc. and also where to do it (if its available online)

From my guesses, a trademark is on a name, saying you are the only one who can use that name in that country for the purpose stated in the trademark. I also know the site, http://www.uspto.gov/go/tm

A patent, would be on a product or invention, stating you are the only person who can use the technology in the product. (like, nobody else can use the PIII technology and pass it off as their own, but they are free to make their own style of chips..AMD). I don't know the site :(

And a copyright, I'm really not sure. Wouldn't it be the same as a trademark? to copyright your name so that nobody else can use it. I also don't know the site.

If I was wrong on any of these, please correct me because I really want to know. And if I'm right, then I don't need none of ya! :p

Copyright can be used on just about anything.

If you live in the United States, England or Australia (Not sure about other countries) you have immediate copyright applied to any inventions, pictures, documents, movies etc. etc.

Without even using a copyright symbol on your work! Except I think in a court of law a copyeight symbol on the work may help you protect your copyright. ;)

Also Copyright expires over time and becomes Public Domain.

You'd copyright a website (the content, the design, etc.)

You'd trademark how the name is written (for example, your site logo which has the fancy font, with the swirl, as well as the plain text version - domain.com).

You'd patent the tin foil antenna you made for your t.v. that pulls in reception from Ugaboogia.

How do you know about my tin foil antenna?

Thanks for the info. Sooooo, If my site is called domain.com then the content and design are copyrighted (automatically) and nobody can copy it. However someone CAN register domain.net and set up a similar service, if domain.com isn't trademarked, and if it is trademarked then I am the only one who can use the name 'domain' to hand out pork bellies.

Kinda confusing, but I believe I get it now.

You might also want to put the copyright logo on your website warning visitors. That way you can skip legal action etc. from not showing people.

Also, people are less likley to set-up copies if they see you Copyright & Tradmark information.

Back