• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

take a look - constructive critism

ianpri

Hi there,

This is my first post on the forum (i was looking for some web space) and wondered if people could give me some thoughts on a site i'm currently working on.Before I post the address, i'll just say that as its a portfolio site its really meant for a higher bandwidth connection than 28.8 (its 65K last time i looked), and yes i know it doesn't work in NS yet, but i'm getting the IE version working first! Oh last thing, you may come up with errors when you view the page, this is due to geoshitties adding that crappy banner window thing in. Thats the reason i came to freewebspce in the firstplace!#

The address is http://www.geocities.com/ianpri_uk/test/test1.htm

Ian

Well I looked at your site in Netscape and IE and as you said the site did not work in Netscape so no comment on that but what I did notice in IE is that the menus did not always fade-out whenever you did the on mouse off. Also a small suggestion would be to make the welcome menu fade-in just above the line that sits right above the redflexed.net 12.12.00 stuff.

Now I also noticed that you said that flash was harder to update then DHTML and I must disagree as with flash all you need to do is create your movie and the html is automatically generated for you so I would have to say flash is actually the easier of the 2 to update.

All in all though you have a pretty good looking site and I wish you all the best with it and I can't wait to see it when it is Netscape ready :)

the site looks great, and it loaded very quickly on my 28.8. i look the "futuristic" windows better than the default, although both look good. i also like how they become transparent when not active. its got a kind of mac OS X thing goin on. all the backgrounds look great although i prefer the "blocky" myself. great job, overall, i look forward to seein it progress.

about the site

What I mean't from the part about it being more easier to update is from a database perspective. As the site is HTML based, you can easily hook up a DB to it - asp/php/cgi etc much eaiser than you can using flash. There is stuff out there do do updating via flash (actionscript,generator etc) but its still more versatile the dhtml/html way.

Eh.

I really hate mass usage of dHTML and I hate most dHTML all together, and if this was a personal site or of some other subject I would admit that I would not like the site. However, since the site is meant to demonstrate the power of dHTML, I give the site two thumbs up because you stuck to the point and did a damn good job at it :p.

[edit]
One suggestion: The futuristic version of the 'browser' needs a "X" button.
[/edit]

[Edited by Nick on 01-08-2001 at 06:34 PM]

Very, Very Nice!

Only problem is that the background needs to be percentage based or something... looks dreadful in 1280x1024! Anywayz nice site! :)

Hi,

Its a very nice site! I like the use of dhtml, I admire dhtml due to not needing any plug-ins to make a good interactive site, I also hate it because its hard to code in dhtml and comptability problems with the 2 major browsers and its past versions. You could do your site in Flash in a shorter time unless you're a voodo in dhtml. It's not hard to update large flash sites with database connection thats why Macromedia Generator is available but I guess you dont like it. Everyone has their own personal preference, it's sometimes better to stick with them if you are good on what you do.

Also, dont forget to make your background graphics sharp and make the text in the backgrounds readable unless its the way you like it. Try slicing the background images...

Overall, your site is very nice, it's a perfect personal portfolio, sure to catch client attention. :)
Best regards,

thanks!

Cheers guys, thanks for the tips - i know the backgrounds need to be optimised its just the toss-up between quality and file size, maybe a bit of preloading is in order...
the dhtml site will actually be a small part of my finished site, and instead will just be a different 'version', using the same content but completely different styles and graphics etc etc. Each time you refresh the page you will be taken to a different version of the site.

I took the idea from http://www.davidbowie.com/ which does the same thing and will be sticking up more and more as they come. I'm currently working on a flash version and kiddies version, where you have to fit the blocks into the right holes to bring up the different pages. I hope to post the soon so you can take a look!

Ian

Back