• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

"stolen" site look... & meta tags too!!!

chrisabrooks

Hi. I (well, my firend, anyways... I just look after it for her) have a site that allows the download of a free perl script (www.mylittlewebring.com). I recently noticed that a site has copied ("stolen"!) my design, including the images that go with it, but has left my meta tags in... I assume that they are not HTML literate and have used a wysiwyg editor, and have not noticed the meta tags... But one it <meta name="author" content="Chris Brooks.... (ME!) I don't want my name on this site (as it's an xxx site, I believe...) and I don't want him just straight copying my look (my images, too... :() and using my meta tags!!!
Is there anything I can do? As the page still has my meta tags, I would hope that that's proof enough he's took it!!! :)
I found out because one of the aggrements of using the free script is having an embedded counter, and I like to view some of the sites using it...
For anybody interested, here is the link, but please note that it's an xxx site, and although there are no direct images on that page, someone may be upset by the content... Admins/mods, feel free to edit this post and remove that link if you don't want it here... I'll understand. :) Anyway, that is a page with my script working fully (OK with me - that's why I make it a free download), but you can clearly see that around the edge it the design of my site (www.mylittlewebring.com) and if you view source you can see MY meta tags!!! Aaaaahhhhhh!
Anyone know anything I can do? Should I just e-mail the owner of the site?

I wouldn't contact them directly straight away, I'd make sure you get a back-up, whitnesses' and any other proof.

Then contact them, if that dosn't work contact their host. If that still has no sucess you can take them to further legal actions like contacting a web copyright consortim, police and or court.

I wish you the best of luck,

Thanks for your response. I've got a couple of peopl to back me up on what is there. It turns out now that he's copied my meta tags onto every single page of the site! Aaaaaaahhhhhh! Oh well... BTW, if he's not co-operative, anyone know how to find the host? It looks like either paid hosting or a dedicated server... Wonder if the whois info would help me out? ANyways...

Back