• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

So.... What happen to .web??

iwod

I have just read, that ICANN are not choosing .web as one of the new tld. So... what is going to happen to .web?? What happen if i have already register a .web??
Will i still be able to use the .web without havinf .web as part of ICANN new tld???
CAN SOME BODY JUST TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON AND WHAT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!??????????
iwod

Where did you get this info? As far as I know, there is just a controversy that ICANN may award this tld to Network Solutions (damn if it does), which almost everybody is up against, that's all.

From what I read iwod, that is correct, .web did seem to be out of the running, but keep in mind that nothing is final yet. They seem to still be considering all 44 (but the 11 are the strong contenders).

You will not be able to use .web unless it is approved, and the fact that you paid for a .web has nothing to do with it. You probably read that .web has not been approved (at the time of registration), and that they couldn't guarentee it ever would be approved.

If it is not approved, then yes, you've wasted your money, *but* like I said, nothing has been decided upon finally quite yet, and this isn't the last time they'll add TLDs either.

Originally posted by Chicken
From what I read iwod, that is correct, .web did seem to be out of the running, but keep in mind that nothing is final yet. They seem to still be considering all 44 (but the 11 are the strong contenders).

You will not be able to use .web unless it is approved, and the fact that you paid for a .web has nothing to do with it. You probably read that .web has not been approved (at the time of registration), and that they couldn't guarentee it ever would be approved.

If it is not approved, then yes, you've wasted your money, *but* like I said, nothing has been decided upon finally quite yet, and this isn't the last time they'll add TLDs either.

Not to mention that there was more than one outfit offering .web registrations and there was no guarantee that either one would end up being an actual registrar if and when .web was approved. Registering with either was a major gamble.

Originally posted by Koolguy
Where did they get the right to "sell" .web domain before it even or ever exists.

First, they aren't quite screwed as it may be aproved in the future. It is a huge set back for the time being though (effectively screwing them for now:))

Second, they developed the registry for .web and argue that it is their property. You have to read the whole story behind it.

If you agree with how they see it, then they have the right to sell what is theirs. But on the same token, I could put up a site the pre-registers '.chicken' just as Tucows has '.moo' (they don't sell domais, but they could). This part has nothing to do with whether it is an approved TLD.

But on the same token, I could put up a site the pre-registers '.chicken'

But then you'd end up with legal problems with Chick-Fil-A as soon as someone registered eatmore.chicken. You don't want to be a part of the lawsuits that would come out of that. :p

Back