• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Shouldn't this board be called 'CGI: PERL, PHP, ASP help'?

Perl is the language that some CGI scripts are written in. As far as I know, ASP and PHP are comepletely different languages.

Correct me if im wrong but php and asp have nothing to do with cgi in any shape or form, besides being a server side language.

From what I know, CGI scripts can be written in C, C++, Perl, and some other languages. But ASP, PHP, ColdFusion etc. are a totally different thing. It's like saying HTML is CGI too, well, not really, but whatever.

Hi, I was reading these forums, and thought I would reply.

theyre totally seperate things. CGI is Common Gateway Interface, PHP is Professional Home Pages, and ASP is Active Server Pages. Now they don't sound alike, do they? I can install PHP and a web server on my machine and have a host with PHP. I don't need Perl to be installed. Trust me, they're not the same thing...

--------
YaBB--The future of online bulletin board software with huge-ass security holes :D Seriously-when are you gonna fix that?

[Edited by sparkfan12 on 11-12-2000 at 06:34 PM]

Originally posted by sparkfan12
Hi, I was reading these forums, and thought I would reply.

theyre totally seperate things. CGI is Common Gateway Interface, PHP is Professional Home Pages, and ASP is Active Server Pages. Now they don't sound alike, do they? I can install PHP and a web server on my machine and have a host with PHP. I don't need Perl to be installed. Trust me, they're not the same thing...

I thought I'd reply since you have some innaccurate information. CGI does indeed stand for Common Gateway Interface -- it includes Perl, C++, C or any program that needs to be run on the server as a separate process and then the input exported to the browser. PHP, which incidently stands for Personal Home Page (not Professional Home Pages), and ASP are preprocessers -- not CGI.

The forum name is correct.

mjk@atlascgi.com
http://www.atlascgi.com/

Back