• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

remote hosted BBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, a remotely hosted board doesn't hog up space on your own server; it uses up space on other people's server. Also, it's getting hard to find a reliable free host that allows forums. Generally, if they find one, it's almost immediately canned. Forums just use up too much space.

That's something I really can't figure regarding space and forums. Of course forums takes up space, but not as much as running a file distribution site.

If I were to choose whether to run a Flash learning tutorial site or distribute Flash movies, Flash tutorials would be better in that ads can be placed on the page. If each page was an avg of 30k, then I'm insured that for each 30k, 1 ad is display.

If the site was based on files, then each file has to be at max, 30k to be able to generate 1 ad display.

I don't think the problem lies in the amount of space a forum uses, it's more rather the CPU usage and bandwidth. Proboards for example has added 3-4 new servers since the 1st of this year.

A 17 GB SCUSI drive runs about 250 these days I believe, but that's a one time fee.

Bulletin boards are easy on the bandwidth if you server can compress the pages, however I think that most free remotely hosted scripts don't know the technology that well or run it in the proper manner to keep it up.

The company I work for, each Gig of bandwidth costs $1.23 cents for reliable connectivity. If I were to go out and buy a 1U server for around 1500 bucks, then the only thing left to pay for is space for co-location and bandwidth.

Hopefully, I'll figure a way to run banners that don't annoy the heck out of people (I hate popups), but can pay for the server hosting.

Cool free forums doesn't officially exist as far as I'm concerned because there is no real site and you can't "log in".

Access board isn't like UBB, its more like a single forum in UBB, not an entire board.

Its not direct competition. My site is actually http://freesites.albinotreefrog.net, thats just a small branch of it.

Eesite is still there(I play utopia there) and the board is still there, I've seen a few of them, I can't find the sign-up link though , I'll remove boardnation and I'll keep novogate because it still offers a once month free trial. There are other of course but they listed in my general remote section.

Originally posted by Archbob
Eesite is still there(I play utopia there) and the board is still there, I've seen a few of them, I can't find the sign-up link though , I'll remove boardnation and I'll keep novogate because it still offers a once month free trial. There are other of course but they listed in my general remote section.

By the ways, I think upperboard is a script now instead of a remote thing.

Upperboard offers remotely hosted boards. They started out as a script, incorporated a remotely hosted version of their script, and now they have both. If you look at the Top 5 boards (in terms of traffic), they are all remotely hosted boards.

Yes, the EESite boards are still there. However, they have had this "Sign-ups will be available shortly" for more than two years already.

Upperboard is hosted on hypermart, I can't find the singup link. I'll add them to my downloadable scripts section later this week. I have hundreds of links in my webmasters directory, most of them are top level domains, I can't really keep track of all of them. I try to go through every once in a while.

Boardhost is threaded. It doesn't matter with upperboard since I'm getting phpbb2 from coolfreeforums anyways, I'll add them to my list too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back