• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

redirection service

Which type of ads would you prefer?

• a small button

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • pop up ads

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • large banner on top

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • pop under ads

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
Well i think the best policy is to ask for a textlink, and if the person doesn't put up the link, then go ahead and show ads galore.

Originally posted by kid kool
Well i think the best policy is to ask for a textlink, and if the person doesn't put up the link, then go ahead and show ads galore.
that'd be next to impossible if the service really takes off... having to check all sites, then start manually naming to the script individual sites to show ads on or not... what if the user base reaches 1000+?

that'd be next to impossible if the service really takes off... having to check all sites, then start manually naming to the script individual sites to show ads on or not... what if the user base reaches 1000+?

well if you wanted you could have a script that checks whether your link is there, and if it isn't a bunch of popups get shown (like with spaceports). so i'd hardly say it is "impossible".

Also it barely uses up any bandwidth to run a redirection service of that size so who really cares. You can start advertising in a newsletter to your members etc, there are plenty of options

well if you wanted you could have a script that checks whether your link is there, and if it isn't a bunch of popups get shown (like with spaceports). so i'd hardly say it is "impossible".

Also it barely uses up any bandwidth to run a redirection service of that size so who really cares. You can start advertising in a newsletter to your members etc, there are plenty of options
ever heard the phrase "easier said than done"? well, this is one instance where you'd use it.

Which means you think it's easy? The real thing is harder than you thought!

"Easier said than Done" and "next to impossible" do not mean the same thing. All you'd have to do is post in a couple of forums or email a couple of webmasters and you'd find someone who could do it. In any case, if its such a burden just put console hell on all your members pages and take the cash. Easy enough

first, this script you're dreaming of would have to connect to the given page being redirected to every time the redirector is loaded. it'd have to sift through hundreds, maybe even thousands, of lines of code each visit. it'd have to parse the required ad code out of all those lines to make sure it's in there, somewhere. and whether or not the code is in there, it must tell itself to show an ad or show nothing. and it'd have to do it all instantly. can you say 'resource hog'?

and there are other things to take into account. like maybe someone has put the code in between these:
Code:
<![b][/b]-- --[b][/b]>
or these:
Code:
<[b][/b]noscript></[b][/b]noscript>
or code the page in php or cgi/ssi, etc... and hide the code in an if/else statement, so if the server's i.p. or hostname shows up looking for the code, it shows it. otherwise, it leaves it out, which is very easy to accomplish.

yeah, your little script idea there is real practical.

Last edited:
Of course it is. It would only need to check when you sign up, not every time. You see it with nearly every simple linkexchange script out there. Sure, a percentage of people will defeat it or have coding on their page which is incompatible. What's that got to do with the price of tea in china? A large percentage of people who sign up for redirection can't even properly fill out the form. Personally i don't care. Showing ads is the way to go anyway. Users will still sign up any way you look at it, so it is really a moot point.

Last edited:
No, in fact you brought it up questioning the ability to require users to link back to you in exchange for the free service.

Users sign up no matter what. A great deal of the people who sign up for these services do not even correctly fill out the form or even know what a url is. If you put a signup form for anything, users sign up.

Back