• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Question regarding Reliablity of Mail coming along with paid hosting...

akersche

Hi,

I know this question is only a bit linked to paid hosting, but I am curious about that...

For me it's very important to have a reliable email account with my web-space (paid hosting).

So I am trying to find out, how reliable mailaccounts are and even think of setting up my own mailserver for testing...

I want to set up a mailserver for my domain and i got a permanent connection and static ip.
so i wanna point the mx-record to my ip. (nameserver not on my pc) (think of using Pegasus- or Mercury- Mail Server on WinME)

what happens now, if the mailserver or my pc crashes, or my connection is down.
Would all emails be lost:-(( And would the sender get a message, that the mail-server is down?
Can I set up a Secondary MX-Record in case, my mail-server is down?? Or how could I solve that problem?

NOW HERE COMES WHAT'S IMPPORTANT:
How is that problem handeled at the quality web-hosts that offer domain email?
Is it just the multiple connection that they use for reliability?
I guess if I know the answer of how I can set it up reliable, I would find out how hosts are doing it and how reliable it is.

looking forward to your response.
Greetings Arno

MX records have priority numbers attached with them, so make your record like this:

mydomain.com. IN MX 10 home.computer
mydomain.com. IN MX 9 web.host

thanks jw

thanks a lot.
great to hear that i can give priorities to MX-record!!

still wonder, if i should worry about email reliability when i choose a cheap host like wzpro.
or is it anyway a good idea to set up a second priority MX-record that points to another email-server
or does this usually set up the paid hosting provider?
(if i don't have/or use my own mail server as primary or backup mail-server)
(e.g. everyone.net is offering this for free)

Greetings Arno

Well, I don't have experience with Worldzone Pro, but Webdude is a great guy, and his other service, worldzone, has great uptime, so I don't think you need to worry about that much. Also, if a mail server is down, all mail will be delievered when the mail server comes back up as long as its within the server's setting which is usually like 7 or 30 days, depending.

thanks again...

quote jw:
>all mail will be delievered when the mail server comes back up as long as its within the
>server's setting which is usually like 7 or 30 days, depending.

Thanks again. Didn't know that. I learned now a lot and know that I don't have to worry to much about that. Delayed is also not great, but it's ok:)

Now I understand, why I sometimes got a notification, that a mail couldn't be delivered days later (when mailserver didn't exist at all...)

Thanks again.
Greetings Arno

Back