• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

low budget but good web hosting

harrylmh

Hello everyone.
I'm thinking about hosting at gemstream.com . I like its pricing and packages. Anyone had any experiences with them? Do you recommend gemstream, could you advice me on which is a good host for a person looking for small business hosting?

PS: I considered tera-byte but they use Cobalt-RaQ that makes my htaccess file invisible! Can't see so can't edit/delete - doh!

Thanks.
hARrY

Wow, Thanks Syanet. I checked out the host you recommend and I think it's amazing. It's really too good to be true but I guess the 30-day money-back guarantee'll help.

Anyone else who know of another good host other than gemstream, tera-byte and hostrocket, please tell me.

PS: I'm using WS_ftp (normal version). How do I set it to make htaccess files visible?

Thanks.

Originally posted by harrylmh
PS: I'm using WS_ftp (normal version). How do I set it to make htaccess files visible?

WS FTP LE
Press Connect > Select Start up >
to the Remote file mask box write: -al

Thank all, for your info. I've checked through every host you recommended and now more or less got an idea who to go to.

Also, thanks top for the tip - it worked!

btw, if you can't see your .htaccess but you have access to Telnet, just Telnet to your account and type "pico .htaccess" (w/o the quotes) and you can edit your .htaccess right from there. Then hit CTRL+X tos ave and hit Y for Yes and it will save.

Originally posted by syanet
As for the .htaccess file all you need to do is change your FTP client setting to see the file. [/B]

The problem is with the servers. There is an option in Cute FTP to define commands, so you can do "DELE .htaccess" to delete the htaccess file. WS_FTP, to my knowledge, does not have the feature to define commands, so you won't be able to delelte .htaccess files.

long long list

Hi!
I think you will find several hosts that could service you well. Just narrow your choices down and go with whomever offers the most features that you require. Always email a potential host before signing up though.
Here is a long list!
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053

<<MOD NOTE>>
Please put the URL below inside your signature (this will alleviate the need to have large blocks of blank space seperating the message from the bottom of the post as well).
<</MOD NOTE>>

Happy Holidays!
http://www.hostcaters.com/holiday.html

[Edited by Chicken on 12-30-2000 at 01:21 PM]

Originally posted by syanet
WS_FTP, to my knowledge, does not have the feature to define commands, so you won't be able to delelte .htaccess files.

As long as you haven't done something funny with the file (permissions wise), you can delete it.

[Edited by Chicken on 12-30-2000 at 01:19 PM]

Back