• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is the server speed 100Mbps good?

curiousity

Hello,

I have just asked a web host on its server speed and they said that the server is located in Texas and with a server speed of 100Mbps.

Is this:

1. excellent
2. fast
3. decent speed
4. poor speed

I am guessing it is at ThePlanet, an excellent DC. Yes, 100mbps is amazing :D But it can get clogged on a shared if other people use too many resources, or even if the host crams too many people on it :/

Regards,

it depends how to use it. if you are using nearly 8Mbps, 100Mbps port will give you more power. However, if you are using just around 2Mbps, you will see no difference.

excellent

I'll agree with just about everyone that's posted here -

100MBPS is an excellent speed, the more speed, the faster which means the BETTER!

For the vast majority of servers the server itself will be the bottleneck, not the uplink speeds.

One thing to also remember is that your server can be on a 100Mbit port, but that means diddly if any of the connections above that are smaller.

Basically if you plug your server into a 100Mbit port on the switch, but the uplink on that switch is only 10Mbit then your server will be sharing the 10Mbit with everyone else on that switch or if the ports are rate limited. (probably not a problem if your going directly with The planet or server matrix, but it is a common problem I've seen with small colo/dedicated hosting companies who don't want to pay for expensive overage bills)

It's somewhere between Fast and Decent. 100MBPs is quite average. As for that Texas DC, I'm led to believe it's either EV1 or Colo4Dallas. However, in both places they are wired up with GigE with their switches, so it's more towards fast.

STOP SPAMMING! Holy crap, he isn't asking for hosting, he's asking about the speed of a port. Do you even read the psot or just post this in every topic you see posted?

Regards,

"Spam" This thread is a week old and you just said something that really didn't need to be said..

Regards,

Back