• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Here we go again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, massive overselling is surely a topic for discussion, but I'm talking about the way this thread has gone about it - we can talk about it but certainly no need to victimize one certain member is there? (Especially a member who's been here for a year and has a good number of posts)

Maybe we can offer some advice or past experiences or purely talk about the issue of excessive overselling, rather than starting a thread "I've pointed this guy out, haha he is a joke, scam! I'm better!!"

Yes, massive overselling is surely a topic for discussion, but I'm talking about the way this thread has gone about it - we can talk about it but certainly no need to victimize one certain member is there? (Especially a member who's been here for a year and has a good number of posts)

Maybe we can offer some advice or past experiences or purely talk about the issue of excessive overselling, rather than starting a thread "I've pointed this guy out, haha he is a joke, scam! I'm better!!"

Posts mean nothing, there are a few people with almost double my posts who have been here in less time than I have and they just spam like crazy the same offer over and over again. Also, I haven't really been on much, so people are bound to have more posts than me.

Also, overselling is an issue, thats correct. Also, its the main point of this topic.
Advice...hm....usually, webhosts don't like to help each other. Besides, there are MANY threads already about overselling. Its up to a person whether he or she follows advice or not.

Posts mean nothing, there are a few people with almost double my posts who have been here in less time than I have and they just spam like crazy the same offer over and over again. Also, I haven't really been on much, so people are bound to have more posts than me.

Also, overselling is an issue, thats correct. Also, its the main point of this topic.
Advice...hm....usually, webhosts don't like to help each other. Besides, there are MANY threads already about overselling. Its up to a person whether he or she follows advice or not.

:D You covered everything but my main point, which is do you agree with the bullying and public victimization?

I don't see anyone being victimized, not anywhere, people have made statements and others given their personal opinion, and now people are discussing it, that's how discussion works.

no one, including serverorigin has done anything wrong, he simply said he was going to sign up and test out their service, said he was going to post a review, all I did was determine that signing up would be a massive waste of time and post the reasons why, like I said that's how discussion works ....

I do agree with what James is saying. And yes even i could tear The stealthy One to pieces concerning his business plan and what not.

Hear at FWS the concept of overselling discussions are a thing of the past for most of us. We have seen them all and joined within the discussions. and in fact Oversellers populate this forum and not a single person really bats a eye when they post up there offers.

Really this post is about the OP "Calling Out" The Stealthy One. We are of course all waiting in anticiptaion to see the end results.

Just wanted to point out that my perception is totally different.

This thread is about one person, or provider so we speak and the apparent sharing of how "funny" it is. :eek3:

Read it again:

So I have decided to call "The Stealthy One" out.

I have 7TB of stuff with close to 10TB transfer a month. I will be signing up later today - I want to verify the:

I will be posting a review later. Anyone else thought this was kind of funny

Signup Completed at: 12:28pm cst

Will await information. I think when you just blatantly oversell by including a guarantee of that much space and bandwidth, you have to have at least that much to serve 4-5 customers. I'm curious...Maybe we should be taking notes if he can offer this.

This does not sound like a fair discussion with positive motives? Come on..

Why should it have positive motives ?? There's no rule saying you can only discuss a webhost if you're going to be nice and praise the webhost. The point of the topic was to bring to light a webhost that is overselling, to give a review of the service recieved, and the point of discussion is to voice opinion, not to be nice ....

Because I have actual experience in business, and in hosting, there's no where you can buy a 100meg server for $3 or $4 a month. There's no way for this to be profitable, even if you have a billion 100meg lines, they will never be paid for by the revenue that these plans can generate, never, not even once, not ever.

Good, I am glad to hear you have experience in the Web hosting business. This means that you are at least familiar with the concept of clusters, and the advantages they can offer when running large-scale web hosting operations. I am sure you are aware that clusters allow a near-infinite means of "scaling up" to produce a continuous level of high-quality service, even in times of heady growth.

You are still making the assumption that the $1/month plans are the only form of revenue for fxts.net. You are very wrong in this assumption, and basing your whole argument upon this one assumption is what is disproving you. You should have noticed the link on our homepage to the HostGator affiliate program - a program which is providing fxts.net with at least $50 per new HostGator user (this would be a user who chooses not to signup with fxts.net, and instead follows the link we have to HostGator, and signs up for service there). With the amount of users we refer to HostGator, this can quickly add up to a substantial amount of money. Additionally, I operate a free hosting service, which is profitable and can subsidize the fxts.net service, as well as a few other (also profitable) Websites which can do the same. In short, I made certain that I could operate fxts.net, even if the service itself was not profitable for some time. Again, I worked on this business plan for over a years' time.

How can you say that you have developed this as a business, there's no way for it to develop, theres no way for it to make money, you're just saying what you think people want to hear; infact people would much rather hear the truth and the truth is, this is not possible.

Of course this is not a developed business, and I never claimed it was. What I did say was that I spent a lot of time developing the business plan. If I said what people wanted to hear, I would be saying fxts.net offers all of these features for free. :)

There's no need for me to assume that fxts's revenue is the only source of finance for this business, you already said it isn't.

What I'm saying is, that theres nowhere for this plan to go, you're talking about clustering; this is very expensive, you're offering too much for too little and it really cannot be seen in any other light, no matter what hardware you use or support you provide, running a webhosting or any business costs money, the revenue generated will never cover costs, so it cannot be seen as a viable business plan.

James is indeed correct and this thread was never created with positive motivation behind it.

What the OP has done has been done before and has been done to much larger providers.

Is the OP revealing a "Scam" providee to the conusmer in this thread? I highly doubt that. Consumers most likly do not tread in this area unless something is wrong with thier account that is provided by a host here at FWS.

Also Consumer education as far as i have seen from this site is not of a high priority. And as far as i am concerned will never be. It has always been "buyer beware"

There's no need for me to assume that fxts's revenue is the only source of finance for this business, you already said it isn't.

What I'm saying is, that theres nowhere for this plan to go, you're talking about clustering; this is very expensive, you're offering too much for too little and it really cannot be seen in any other light, no matter what hardware you use or support you provide, running a webhosting or any business costs money, the revenue generated will never cover costs, so it cannot be seen as a viable business plan.

krakjoe,

I am not going to run through numbers, because I honestly don't want to reveal what we're doing, and how successful fxts.net has been thus far. I will tell you that, though it has been up just a week it is, so far, profitable. The service already has quite a bit of users. I do expect there will be a period of a couple of months where we have to subsidize part of the cost of fxts.net with our other sites.

As for clusters, they are not expensive. Not at all. Once we move to a full cluster, things will become even more cost-effective. The basis for what we are trying to do involves moving each of the following services completely to its own server/mini-cluster of servers: mail, MySQL, FTP, DNS, storage (using a SAN). The most expensive part of this setup will be the SAN. But there, too, there are still advantages: ever-more-dense storage technologies, the continuously decreasing cost of storage per-gigabyte (or whatever unit of measure you choose to use), etc.

Again, you either are just not considering the full benefits of a clustered solution, or you do not really know how they work. I may not be very good at PHP programming, but network architecture is something I excel at, and a solid, efficient network architecture is indeed the basis for the fxts.net service.

I think we have different ideas about what a business is, and how one should operate.My opinion is that a business should be profitable, perhaps after some development, and with so little income from the business itself I just don't see how that is possible, anyway, having participated in a hundred of these discussions I'm quickly bored ....

umm well,

After reading this whole discussion.

I belive i will once again "Raise" my prices.

This will occure by me decresing the amount of transfer that i currently hand out. cutting in half the limits for my Kickstarter server and cutting in less then half those on my Hypercycle server.

And we shall see whoms concept wins over for the long haul.

Just as a side note:
I had done this once before:
http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showpost.php?p=892436&postcount=20

Last edited:
Well - I didn't mean this a total cheap shot but I do want to point out that it isn't possible. It just isn't - wish it were - be nice if it was...But it's a sad strategy to pickup unknowing customers and what happens when it all crumbles like a house of cards? Every single one of those customers lose their data, lose hours/months/years of work if they don't have local backups. They then turn to this forum and find that they are yet another victim of a host crossing the line of overselling. This isn't overselling, this is false advertising and deception at its highest level.

Everyone can say what they want about me :) Honestly, most didn't start with a high opinion of me so it doesn't matter. What I can say is that we are ethical enough to say we will provide every single bit of space/transfer we sell as well as provide a full backup of all of that data.

Just to be honest, our $2.99/month plan with 2500MB disk and 50GB transfer DOESN'T make money. It is a flawed scenario with even such a small amount of disk and transfer. You are playing upon the uneducated shopping in this industry by offering something you very well - cannot provide.

Say all you want... Biggest purchase we have made so far was an XP10000 SAN and guess what? Almost 2 years later it hasn't turned a true profit yet. SAN/Disk isn't cheap. I don't call $350k+ cheap. I don't see you picking up 350,000 users that are going to pay that bill. Even if you did - you couldn't technically provide your allocated sale of space for more than 6 users on that SAN.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:
^^ I've already covered every point above, so I see no need to go over them again, from my side.

I am curious about you, however: according to your original post (with which you started this thread), your whole point was to review fxts.net, and not to argue about business plans and technical details. So, after uploading a gigabyte of data to our service, what are your initial thoughts? You promised a review, and I (as well as other FWS members) am anxious to hear what you think.

WHO CARES!!!!!

He oversells, so does nearly 99.9999999% of all hosting companies, let people make their own mistakes.

I say goodluck to him :ninja:

^^ I've already covered every point above, so I see no need to go over them again, from my side.

I am curious about you, however: according to your original post (with which you started this thread), your whole point was to review fxts.net, and not to argue about business plans and technical details. So, after uploading a gigabyte of data to our service, what are your initial thoughts? You promised a review, and I (as well as other FWS members) am anxious to hear what you think.

A review within the first few hours of a new hosting account? I wouldn't even believe it. IMO, for it to be a true review, like what I was looking for, I'd expect him to upload TONS of data, use TONS of bandwidth, do monitoring for downtime, check server stats, and talk to support a few times.

I personally don't agree with your business model, but i'm not going to sit here and argue with anyone about it. The way I see it, if it doesn't work... you'll learn a lesson from it, and move on to become a better host, or to do something else. And if it does work, you'll be up there with Lunarpages and GoDaddy and HostGator. I realize the math just doesn't add up, but if you can pull it off somehow... more power to you. The key in this industry is having an edge.

You people are crazy... Its none of your buisness how much money a company is making seriously. His or her running costs is there problem! end of story. As for the overselling get the hell over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back