• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Happened Again! Im Gonna Go Kill Myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol jiehao if you are referring to me, I dont own any.. and wont so soon. Thx for the advice, after reading so many posts and advice, I realise that running a webhosting business is not an easy thing. I do not hope to get into legal issues with the law, but im living in Singapore so that depends i have to recheck all the laws.

ok from this point on enough with any comments you may have, i AM going to open a webhosting company and I NEED a NEW reseller. That is what the point of this topic is anyway, so can anyone give me what i asked for, for the price i requested?

Decker said:
Ahem - are you sitting comfy. Then I'll begin.

1. giving advice should be looked on as a freebie.
2. advice should be taken.
3. What the hell is a 13 year old doing offering services that could control a business offered by an adult - you have no way of offering any compensation to your clients, so stop moaning.

Sorry to quote this post, but i feel that number 3 is an unfair point.

I am 15, and i have just started creating my own hosting company and making around $40 a month which i will put towards a vB owned.

Firstly, i am a trustworthy host, since i know the ins and outs of unix-based servers and fedora. I know basic shell so i can access the backend if something bad happens to the server.

I totally disagree with those points and age is not an issue when it comes to starting a host, what is important is that people like me do things correctly and follow the examples of our older peers, hosts which have been there longer than us and learn from forums like this to do the right things about hosting.

I feel pointless starting a business because are too biased towards age and they base people upon age and age has nothing to do with hosting, as long as they provide a good service and support when it is important, there is nothing wrong in someone 13 or even 12 in some cases to start there own hosts as long as they have the basic knowledge of servers, which i clearly have.

I hope i do not sound too evil in saying this, but i believe that you were well out of order at the start of the thread and you said things which should not be said. You are generally a nice person (by looking at your post count and how long you have been here), but this is not the case. I am offended by the way you reacted to this thread, and i believe that you are in the wrong and everyone else in this thread are doing things correct. You are well out of order.

ok from this point on enough with any comments you may have, i AM going to open a webhosting company and I NEED a NEW reseller. That is what the point of this topic is anyway, so can anyone give me what i asked for, for the price i requested?

I can give you a 1 month free trial (just to sweeten the deal to help you out as i cannot believe the context of this thread).

1GB space
virtually unmeasured bandwidth
Upgrades at 100MB space/$1
$7.50/month

But remember the 30 day trial, just to get your foot back on the wall.

my site is www.pcwebtalk.com.

Check whois, i do not plan to sell or close anytime soon.

Please tell me what you think.

Robert.

Very admirable Robert, the main stay of point 3 is more a warning of the pitfalls thatn anything else. Take an example - a sandwich business relies on their web site for orders each day, with a 'legally responsible' host (as in can be held to their terms and conditions of service legally, which a minor cannot their parents or guardiens would have to agree to the responsibility in advance) then the host just goes down. Result 1 small business out of business.
The commitment level is very high in the hosting industry and as you now doubt know yourself, but takes a lot more understanding of how the commercial side works too as that will be the main side that your clients will be concerned about.
Your offer is a very kind one and I hope you'll give a bit of guidance along the way too as your prepared to 'take the risk' which is to be commended.
As with everything the answers to questions are not always kind, but should be recognised for the positives rather than just being looked on as negative.

robert allen said:
I totally disagree with those points and age is not an issue when it comes to starting a host, what is important is that people like me do things correctly and follow the examples of our older peers, hosts which have been there longer than us and learn from forums like this to do the right things about hosting.
*Gasp*...you dont know how long I have been waiting for someone to positively portray the younger generation in the web hosting business :). Hopefully, you can continue to set a good example for others (and hopefully I can do the same).

Also to Decker, it's also very pleasing to see that your not immediatley turning your back on the younger generation, and instead choosing to help them grow and eventually fill the positions that the older generation now occupy. Reputation is in order :).

EDIT: Well I would, but apparently I have to "share it around". Someones popular ;).

Last edited:
LOL - I'll help anyone that is serious about committing themselves to a task (usually shortly before they get committed for it ;p)

Some might post things (including myself) that sound cruel to start but there is usually a good reason behind it and often personal experience.

To be honest we can all get a bit hacked off when experience is being offered and thrown back at you, but at the end of the day the folks around here tend to get past it and help out as much as they can :D

One of the best boards going - and I've been round a few (cough showing my age now still remember text only BB's)!

Decker said:
One of the best boards going - and I've been round a few (cough showing my age now still remember text only BB's)!
True that. Ive been around many a forum, this is the only one where I believe I have got a nice post count, as well as a hopefully positive reaction towards myself. Kudos to all members.

needlehost said:
Tree - about your linux/apache comment, when has this happened?
Or is this just when you order an un formatted server?

This is if something wasn't configured right and you have an unmanaged DS. The problem therefore lies in the OS or webserver. Both of which most people have little to no grasp on.

Thanks:) Thankfully that didn't affect me as I did the sensible thing, recognised that I was good with cpanel and whm but really wasn't great with a terminal, so got managed hosting.
But of course deal old LT is unmanaged but cheap, meaning many new hosts go with them thinking it dosn't matter it's unmanaged. Thats when issues start, peoples servers go down and they havn't a clue what to do.
I realise I'm repeating others, but it's a point that needs to be made.
My advice: Get a managed server and learn how to manage it yourself, then go unmanaged.

robert allen said:
I am 15, and i have just started creating my own hosting company and making around $40 a month which i will put towards a vB owned.

See thats the difference younger people dont know how to think clearly.You think VB is the end of the world, ever thought of keeping reserve in your paypal instead of blowing it all up on some software to which there exists an alternate(ever thought of modding phpbb forums urself), for worst case scenarios? younger generation thinks about only the present and not the future, no webhosting company can run unless the owner thinks ahead of time and looks at the worst case situations that could rise.

Age basically makes u more expereinced and definately those into hosting that are 13 or 15 know pretty much less than those running buisness in their late 20's or 30's as they have seen the working of the this dirty buisness from inside out. Knowing the inside out of linux is not everything robert.

Actually a very good point well made - make sure you have the future in mind, working month to month doesn't work out. Look at a 6 month minimum period for your expansion and developement plans.

Nice one a1whs, putting me to shame here :D

I usually suggest that an under age person sits down with their parents or other responsible adult and talks through their business ideas.

I'm sure that most parents would take the risk of putting their name to a company run by one of their children and sign it over when the child becomes an adult, as long as their child could convince them of a valid business plan. This way the child gets valuable experience and the clients get the backing of a "proper" company.

If you're still looking for a reseller, then feel free to contact me, however you won't get cheap oversold server space from us, so that may not appeal.

Just got a deal from my school computer teacher, who has basicly taught be everything about servers and unix servers. Also my good british friends who own the radio stations i work for have been teaching me about servers and webhosting (HTML, PHP, Flash, webdesign etc...) for about 2-3 years now, I just started my own company and my teacher is support me 100%. Thanks for the people who gave me both good and bad advice, i appreciate your time and patience with me.

Cheers,
Pat

Why did all of your clients need a refund. Once they closed your web hosting account, did all of your clients accounts also get closed.

oates151 said:
Im sorry, i had 10 clients, all gone, took 100 bucks out of my pocket, should i just give up after i have had two terrible hosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back