• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Freezing and Crashing

windows me defintaly crashes alot but it might be a driver problem with your nic, go to the developers homepage and look for updated drivers and go to system properties and see if you have any conflicts

Originally posted by Ragzz
Is what my computer does ALL the time...it's running win ME, and after a while, the DSL connection just dies, than a minute later, it restarts... Either that or it goes BSOD. Any ideas why?
have you setup a subnet mask or ip address in My Network Places if the modem is on a LAN connection if required?

Originally posted by michael p bennett
yeah it was the worst windows release ever. I bought a new puter didnt pay attention to the os paid $500 so i really didnt care got home seen me was mad but hey i tried to tweak it while I got a free xp upgrade from crapaq and I bought it at wall mart and few things were missing from the package and i used that as leverage to get xp pro free from wal mart so after that i paid a whole $300 for a crapaq

athlon 1.3 ghz
512 mb ram
60gb hdd
12x dvd
8x cdrw

since i purchased it i have added more ram and a new athlon and a faster cdrw.
so I'm one of the extraordinary users which ME is working better than 98SE.

Originally posted by phreak888
Thanx michael p bennett! I did most of the things you said to, now I just gotta see how they work! Thanx!

And windows me doesnt manage memory to well so you may wanna increase ur swap file (virtual memory) if you have a large hard drive. Also there are free programs that will defrag ur memory and get the most out of ur memory

Originally posted by michael p bennett
do u really want help???? here you asked for it. This worked for me when I was running ME.

Here is some general troubleshooting advice for Windows ME, assuming you have tried the built in troubleshooters without success. These moves solve a large number of ME problems and conflicts. I do these with a new system anyway, just so it runs well.

1. First, set a system restore point so that you can go all the way back if you want to (Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore)

2. Disable all forms of power management (Right click on desktop, Properties, Screensaver, Settings, set the turn offs and the standby to ?never? ? while you?re in screensaver set it to none). Disable power management in your PC Bios as well (reboot, press Delete until you see the Bios, put in the password if you have one, find the power management section and ensure power management is disabled, save and exit ? reboot)

3. Check various hardware settings. Make sure that DMA is enabled for your CD drive, DVD drive, hard disks if they are DMA compatible - right click on My Computer then go to Properties, Device Manager, find each device and click on it, then go to its properties box, settings tab and check the DMA box. Again, don't worry - if it isn't able for DMA it should uncheck itself on a reboot - you can look again and see. Enabling DMA makes a huge difference to games and DVDs in Windows ME. Check the Video card settings (Right click ?My Computer?, Properties, Device Manager, Performance, Graphics, set accelerator to maximum), While you?re in Performance, click File System, Hard Disk, set the sliders fully to the right and change the role of the PC from desktop to network server even if it?s not ? this increases speed of access). Click Floppy Disk and uncheck the search for floppy drives box. Click CD Rom and check the cache size is large and the optimisation box is correct for your drive. Click removable disk if you have one and enable write behind caching. Don?t go near ?troubleshooting?.

4. Run the Direct X tests. Start, Run, type dxdiag, press Enter, go through the tabs and look at the reports at the bottom, run the sound and video tests, update any drivers it suggests at component manufacturer?s website. (If in doubt try www.drivershq.com )

5. Disable all the potential conflicts that come with ME, such as all scheduled tasks in Start, Programs, Accessories, System tools, Scheduled tasks, by using the properties box on each task (right click to get it). Remove Universal Plug and Play if it is installed (Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, Windows Setup, Communications, Details, uncheck the box). This is a program which is designed to tell your central heating etc to start in Microsoft?s future world, but what it does is call home on the internet, so it can conflict with lots of things. Don't let Norton (or equivalent utilities or anti-virus programs) run any scheduled tasks - when installing Systemworks 2001 or equivalent, tell it that you will do all your tasks manually, except for virus autoscan. Note that Norton 2000 is not compatible with ME.

6. Disable active desktop, it uses resources (right click on the desktop, active desktop, make sure the web content line is unchecked). Don?t use wallpaper while troubleshooting (right click desktop, properties, background, set wallpaper to ?none?).

7. If you have Office installed disable Findfast (first go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Find Fast, delete the indexes, look in the menus and uncheck ?run at startup?. Next get out your Office CD 1 and in the maintenance mode of the setup program go to Office Tools and make Find Fast unavailable.) Disable the Office toolbar while troubleshooting if you use it. It causes some conflicts. Make sure you have service releases 1a and 2.0 installed if you are using Office 2000 with ME.

8. ME installs a compiled VXD driver called VMM32.VXD which can cause crashes and hangs and sometimes gives a message mentioning VMM. It is supposed to be a compilation of drivers appropriate to your particular PC but sometimes does not work properly. It is replacing other drivers available in ME which can be installed individually into the System folder. The relevant devices will then choose the single driver instead of the compiled one by preference. So, go to C:\Windows\Options\Cabs (or C:\Windows\Options\Instal on some PCs), find Win 20 which looks like a Zip file (it?s an installation Cab), use an Unzip program to look inside and find these 8 drivers, for example ? vcomm.vxd, vdd.vxd, vflatd.vxd, vdmad.vxd, vmouse.vxd, configmg.vxd, ntkern.vxd, and ios.vxd Extract these files to the C:\Windows\System directory and reboot. These changes can, in certain circumstances, solve a lot of hanging, crashing, startup and shutdown problems in ME. It is important not to download any other copies of these drivers from websites because they may not be the correct versions for your installation.

9. Disable unnecessary programs in startup by going to Start, Run, type msconfig press enter, go to Startup tab, uncheck any unnecessary programs, especially PCHealth, Load power profile (usually there twice), Scheduling agent, anything that mentions scheduling. Look at two sites for more on this: http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Uncheck.htm and http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

10. Update all device drivers to the newest ME compatible versions from the manufacturers? websites. (If in doubt try www.drivershq.com )
If all this hasn?t solved your problem, update VIA chipset patches at http://www.viatech.com/jsp/en/dr/driver.jsp

11. Update graphics card BIOS if it has one, update PC BIOS. PC Bios update is a mission critical one, easy to explode in your face, so do some advanced reading before you try it. For example, http://www.mitre.org/research/cots/FLASHBIOS.html

12. For a general performance boost, If you have room to create a separate partition for your Windows swap file, do what it says at www.easttexaschat.com/_tips/virtual_memory.htm Some people feel that it makes little difference.

13. If you have to format your C drive and reinstall ME, set it up as above, and install only one of your programs at a time. Test your problem between each program installation. If you find it?s a program, see if there?s a patch at the manufacturer?s website.

I have this in a text file so if you want it pm me ur email and i will send the text file

Hope this helps!!!

IT WORKED! ME is still kinda slow and freezish, but basically, It worked!!!!

i dont think me will ever run right but hey if it helps cool!! i think me was released too soon or shouldve never been released at all.

Back